CHAPTER FOUR: THE MINES

We're on our way back home and the only thing I keep thinking is the mines of Dondor.

«You're disturbingly quiet.» Mando says out of the blue.

«I thought I was making too many questions.» I'm saying skeptically.

«Yes. But ever since you heard the news about the mines you haven't said a word. You're worried.»

«Yeah. I don't know. I just have this feeling... like a warning.»

«Premonition may deceive you many times.»

«Really? Because yesterday I had this feeling that something happened in the desert. And when I went there I found you and the Child.»

Mando stops and looks at me. «Is that true?»

«Yes. Why?»

He's not saying anything and just keeps walking.

We spent the rest of the morning repairing the Crest. But unfortunately, the heat rose fast and he had to go. Mando told me that the Crest will be ready by tomorrow and therefore he and the Child will leave.

I want to tell him I want to go with him but the reopening of the mines worries me.

The dream has stopped since the day I found Mando in the desert. But tonight it came back again. And this time it was a different dream.

A crowd of Stormtroopers inside the mines. Undoubtedly the mines of Dondor. But the Stormtroopers are not what worries me the most. It's the workers. Chained, afflicted and the Stormtroopers are abusing them.

Then I see a huge ship filled with crystals. And there's the ex-Imperial again. He's pointing someone with a blaster and shoots.

I'm jumping from my sleep screaming and Mando runs in the room terrified.

«Are you alright?» he asks.

«Yeah.» I'm saying when I finally catch my breath.

«I thought someone broke into the house.»

«Nobody broke in.»

I'm getting up from my bead and take a look outside of the window.

«The sunrise is close.» I'm saying. «We should better get going.»

Mando exits the room and I'm staying in front of the window trying to decide what to do.

Mando is not gonna take me with him. Therefore there's nothing holding me back. I'm packing some food and water in a bag.

I'm about to walk out of the room when I'm remembering the hidden box under my bed where I'm keeping a blaster I bought two years ago from the market. I've never used it but if something's going on at the mines I guess I'll need it.

Mando waits for me at the front door.

«I think you can finish the repairs on the Crest on your own.» I'm saying as I'm walking out of the house.

«You're not coming.»

«No.»

«You're going to the mines.»

«Something is going on there. I don't know why but I have this feeling and it's not going away... take the Landspeeder and leave it there. I'll come to pick it up later.»

«Are you sure you wanna go on your own?»

«Don't worry about me.»

Mando stays quiet.

«Goodbye.» I'm saying. «I hope you'll find what you're looking for.»

«What makes you think I'm looking for something?»