CHAPTER FORTY-TWO: THE TRIALS

I'm sitting on the bed of my room skeptical. The sun's about to rise and someone's going to knock on my door, calling me to the Trials.

After last night's meeting, I went straight back to my room without seeing Cal or Aiden. Although I'm sure Aiden would be locked in his room looking at the files.

How am I supposed to have a clear mind while my best friend is sinking into despair? How can I stay focused when there's nothing I can do to help him?

I've worn the armor I found in my room yesterday when I returned from the council. It's an old, dusty, armor. Its color has faded away over the years. I'm sure they gave it to me so I wouldn't get seriously injured, even though the custom required you to wear Mandalorian armor.

Suddenly I hear the long-awaited knock on my door and I take a deep breath. On my way to the door, I just wish it's not Ozdo. As I was leaving the conference room yesterday, he tried to talk to me, but I didn't feel like listening to him. If all he wants to do is to play the bully to Cal then is none of my business. I have more important problems to solve. Starting with how I'm going to help my friend. But today there's nothing I can do for Aiden. Today I will have to fight eight champions and win the positive vote of the clan leaders. Sounds super easy!!!

As I open the door, I breathe relievedly, seeing Dad's face.

«Ready?» he asks.

I nod positively without speaking. I feel my mouth dry like a desert and my feet seem helpless to obey. I walk out of my room with trouble following Dad, who moves nervously. For a few seconds, none of us talk.

«Do you know where the Trials will take place?» I break the silence.

«They've built an arena near the docks.» he replies with a strange tone in his voice.

«Dad?» I ask confusedly. «What's going on?»

«You know you'll have to fight with eight champions from every clan, right?»

«Yes.»

«My clan doesn't have other members... therefore you're gonna have to...»

«Fight with you!!!»

Dad nods positively without saying anything.

«So be it. You better not hold back your punches. Cause I will definitely not gonna hold back mine!!!»

The arena was nothing special but big enough. They had set up a few rigs around a black carpet. Several Mandalorians were already sitting on the platforms. Dad leads me to the entrance of the arena and then goes to the stands, taking his place.

Bo-Katan gets up from her seat by nodding at me. «We gathered here today to put Keirah Djarin through the Trials to decide if she is worthy of claiming her mother's armor. Keirah Djarin... do you insist on your claim?»

«I do!!!» I say as loud as I can.

«Alright. The Clans have already chosen their champions. You're going to pull the emblems of each clan out of a pouch.»

Right away, Ax Woves enters the arena holding a black leather pouch. When he approaches me, he opens the pouch and looks at me with a friendly look mixed with pity. «Good luck.» he says lowly, tending the pouch towards me.

I put my hand in, trying to control my trembling. As my hand touches the cold metal objects inside, I grab the first one I find and pull it out of the pouch, lifting it in the air. The problem depicts a creature similar to a lion. Clan Eldar's emblem. Ax was tasked with informing me about Madalor's Clans and history. He had taught me Mand'oa, the language of the Mandalorians, and their code of honor.