CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: THE HEIR

After our lunch, Bo-Katan calls us back to the conference room.

«This time I would like to speak with Keirah privately.» Bo-Katan says to AD and Cal.

AD and Cal don't move. They look at me waiting for my answer.

I look at Bo-Katan trying to read her thoughts. But her face is blank. Peacefully unexpressed. Still, I feel safe staying alone with her. I turn to Cal and AD and nod positively.

I go and sit in the same seat as before, waiting to hear what she has to say. «There is something I have to ask you Keirah. How did the Darksaber come to your possession?»

I look at her confused. «I took it from Moff Gideon at the station.»

«You didn't fight with him, did you?»

I'm trying to figure out what she wants to know. But the truth is, I didn't fought with Gideon. He was thrown to the other end of the room and left unconscious. «No.» I answer even though something tells me that I'm lying.

Bo-Katan nods with a faint smile on her face.

«There are a lot of things you should know, Keirah. You must have a lot of questions.»

Indeed, there are thousands of questions I want to ask. But I'm sure she already has a lot of obligations. Se can't deal with me for long.

«What are we doing here?» I ask directly.

«We brought you here for your safety.»

«Why? The only thing you need is the Darksaber, right?»

She smiles skeptically. «We never abandon our people.»

«I'm not one of you.»

«That's not true. You're a Vizsla. Just because you haven't taught our Way that doesn't mean you're not one of us.»

«You were the highest bidder, weren't you?»

«Yes.»

«You would spend so much beskar for a stranger?»

«You know everybody is so greedy when it comes to beskar that become blind and don't decode a message. The Hutts thought I would pay them on beskar when I was going to pay them with beskar. I was intending to attack Nal Hutta and set you free.»

«Why?»

«Because you are the last descendant of House Vizsla on a direct line.»

«And yet I'm still a stranger. You wouldn't go to war for a stranger Bo-Katan. No one would. Why?»

«Because I need your help. The Darksaber»

«It's yours. I have no intention of claiming it if that's what you're afraid of.»

«Good. Because you would have to fight against me. The Darksaber is not the only reason you're here. As I said, you're one of us and I stick to that you're here because I want to keep you safe. The planet is under the protection of the New Republic. No one would dare to make an open attack here. Not even Gideon. Not knowing what he'll lose. I intend to summon all Mandalorians and demand their loyalty. The Darksaber can grand me most of them. But having the last descendant of Tar Viszla by my side...»

«Will grand you all of them.»

«Exactly. Keirah we lost Mandalore because of Gideon. We lost our home and he still has it. He took everything from us. All I want is to unite the Mandalorians and take back what is rightfully ours. And I can make it happen.»

«Everybody's talking about my mother's family as if it is important.»

«That's because it is, Keirah. It was your ancestor Tar Vizsla who created the Darksaber. The only Mandalorian who ever became a Jedi.»