CHAPTER FORTY-ONE: THE COUNCIL

The sun hadn't come up when I woke up to get ready for the council.

To be honest, I didn't sleep at all. I was spinning restlessly in my bed until I decided that since I can't get any sleep I have to start getting ready.

I came out of my room and went up to the closed gate.

The guard looked at me for a long time when I told him I wanted to get out.

«I'm not gonna run away.» I said curtly.

When I finally got out, I headed to the meadow. The only thing I wanted was to clear my head. And there's only one way to do that. I sit on the ground and close my eyes. I focus on my breath and start meditating. I lose track of time, and when I finally hear footsteps approaching me, I open my eyes.

Cal's standing a few steps away from me. «They sent me to call you. It's time.»

I take a deep breath and get up without saying anything. Seeing Cal alone, I know I don't have to ask him where Aiden is. The answer remains the same as yesterday.

Passing through the gate the guard secures it behind us and as we head towards the conference room I hear many voices speaking at the same time. I'm ready to cross the threshold when Ozdo, standing guard, steps in front of Cal. «He can't come in.»

«And why's that?» I ask.

«He's not a Mandalorian.» Ozdo answers curtly.

«Nor am I!!!» I insist.

«These are the rules Keirah!!!» he insists.

«It's okay.» Cal says calmly. «Good luck.»

I nod to Cal as he walks away, and then I turn to Ozdo. I'm sure if eyes could kill, he'd be dead by now.

«These are the orders.»

«I'm quite sure you enjoyed it.» I respond curtly and pass him by.

As I walk in, the intense conversations gradually stop. Several pairs of eyes turn and look at me. I'm looking around, trying to find a familiar face, and when I finally find the stress gradually disappears. Dad looks at me with a faint smile and nods at me.

I can feel everyone's eyes in the room pinned to me as I approach Bo-Katan. Ax Woves and Koska Reeves stand next to her. Dad's sitting alone in a corner. While there are some Mandalorians still wearing their helmets. The Children of the Watch. The cult!!! Ax called them that. He had no sympathy for the Children of the Watch and especially for the fact that several of them spoke disparagingly about the Mandalorians who were removing their helmets.

There had been a lot of fights with the Children of the Watch, but Ax, who was in charge, had to normalize the situation despite his aversion for the zealots.

«Children of the Watch, my fellow Mandalorians» Bo-Katan begins with formality. «You know very well the reason I summoned you here. Our war»

«This war is not ours!!!» a woman who belongs to the Children of the Watch responds. She's wearing a gold helmet and red armor.

«Then what are you doing here?» Bo-Katan responds back. Her voice is filled with tension but her eyes are steady and there's no expression on her face.

«The Creed says we should aid our Mandalor' and answer to its call.» the woman with the golden helmet answers.

A faint smile appears on Bo-Katan's face. «This is the Way!!!»

«This is the Way!!!» everyone yells inside the room.

«Our war is not the only reason why you're here. There's something else. Someone else!!!»