CHAPTER TWELVE: THE STATION

My legs are shaking as we're about to exit our jump into hyperspace.

A feeling, like a warning, takes over me. I'm on high alert and I feel the need to run as far as I can. Only it's too late now.

The Crest exits the jump and we're founding ourselves against a station.

There is no movement. The only ship decked on the bay is the one we've been tracking down.

«They don't even have a force field.» he says skeptically.

«It's a trap, isn't it?» I'm asking.

«It's definitely a trap!!!»

The Crest approaches the dock and we're landing with no trouble.

«I'll carry the Child.» I'm saying as I'm getting up from my seat.

«No.» Mando says curtly. «This is not a place for the Child.»

«But the mines were?» I'm saying full of irony.

Mando exits the cockpit without responding to my comment and I'm following him. I'm checking my blaster and hold it in my hands, ready to shoot. But as we're exiting the ship nobody is there.

«No cameras.» Mando says skeptically. «What kind of station is this?»

As I'm looking around I'm locating two small circles on a corner. And I know very well what they are. I'm nudging at Mando and point at the circles. «Motion sensors. They know we're here!!!»

I've seen these kinds of sensors at Bamboon's ship on the market. He placed them so he can know whenever someone was walking in the ship without his permission. Only one person managed to sneak in. And that person knows how to deactivate those sensors.

We're checking the ship but it's empty. Mando walks first, cautiously checking every inch we're approaching when we find ourselves next to a vent. I'm nodding at him to stop.

«We cannot go far if we don't deactivate those sensors.» I'm saying. «I can get in the vents and go to the control room.»

«How? You don't know where that is.»

«Do you have a better idea? We could really use a droid but you don't want one.»

«I will try to guide you from here. Be careful, okay?» he says and hands me over a communicating device.

I'm nodding at him positively and then I'm pulling the cover of the vent and walk in.

For a brief moment, I'm surrounded by darkness but I'm turning on the small light I bought on our first stop after we left Jalysta. It's a small device that can be attached to the ears.

I'm crawling slowly through the vents, trying to somehow guess the right way to the control room. As I'm moving through the vents I can feel something, an instinct, leading me in a specific direction. And without knowing why, I'm finding my self grabbing the communicating device.

«Follow me.» I'm telling Mando.

«What? How do you know that you're taking the right path?»

«Just follow me!!»

«Let me guess... your infamous right feeling?»

I'm frowning and ignore his comment.

For the rest of our wandering Mando seems to be alright. He walks close to me and when I'm reaching the control room I'm warning him to stop.

From up here, I can see there are four Stormtroopers there.

«The Kijimi cargo had reached the base.» informs a Stormtrooper that sits in front of a console. «The ship with the crystals will be picked up in a few hours.»