CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: THE PROMISE

A gentle breeze blows in my face. The grass in the meadow around us dances lightly and the water runs incessantly in the small river nearby where we sit with Aiden and Cal.

Aiden's already starting to meditate a little further away from us.

«So?» Cal asks impatiently.

For the past three days, I'm avoiding psychometry. But at some point, I'm going to have to do it.

«Are you gonna avoid psychometry again?» he insists.

I turn my eyes elsewhere as the wind gently blows my hair. «I don't think I wanna see.»

«You know. You're just afraid what's gonna be, right?»

«Yeah.» I admit.

«Ever since you found out you are adopted the only thing you've wished for was learning the truth. Even now that you know that you haven't been told the whole story. What your father told you was not the whole story.» he says and gives me his hand. «It's up to you, Keirah.»

I stay silent and look into his eyes. Then I close my eyes and our hands' touch. Then the blinding white light surrounds me again after a long time and I find myself inside a memory.

I see a ship landing near my parents' house. Their foster father's coming down. He freezes when he sees them without their helmets

«Traitors!!!» says without hiding his loathing. «Deserters!!! You betrayed the Creed. Give me your armor, right away.»

«This armor is mine!!!» my mother responds. «It has been in my family for generations. You're not taking my armor away from me.» she continues as she walks out of the house. Her belly has grown significantly due to the pregnancy.

The Mandalorian stares at her in silence. And then turns to my father. «But I will take yours foundling. I'd rather have let you die.»

«You can have it. I don't care.» Din responds. «But you're gonna leave this place and you'll never come back. You will forget where I and my family is.»

«Family!!! I wonder if you know what that means, boy. From my part, your secret will remain hidden. And since you broke your vows... you're dead to me. But don't be fooled!!! Once the Watch finds out that the last heir of Viszla is expecting a child, they'll come for you. Just like they did with you, girl. And then you wish you'd never been born.»

The memory fades and I'm transferred to another.

My parents sitting in front of the fire. He fondly caresses Alana's belly. They seem so happy.

A sweet voice sings a lullaby and I realize it's my mother's voice.

«What do you think we should call her?» he asks.

She smiles surprised. «Her? You think it's a girl?»

«I hope so.»

«I thought you wanted a boy.»

He nods negatively. «I've come up with a couple of names.»

«Someone's looking forward to being a father, I see!!!»

He smiles. «If it's a boy Ben. If it's a girl Estel or Keirah.»

A crooked smile illuminates her beautiful face. «Keirah!!! I like it.»

And as that memory fades and I find myself in the next one, I feel my breath cut off. I'm in a familiar place. I can't be so wrong. We're in the village I grew up in. Specifically in the ruins of the old village. Before the Imperial attack!!!