The Riddle

"There's a reason for the world, you and I"

*          *          *

September 27, 2010 (Present Day)

   "You want to quit?" Spencer asked as he sat with Bella at the kitchen table. 

   She took a sip of her orange juice quietly and set it back down, "Yes."

   Spencer's eyes were sad before he gave a slight nod. He knew why Bella was doing this, he completely understood. There were times in his life where he was close to calling it quits, packing up his desk and never looking back. He still had days where he considered a different career path, one that guaranteed his and Bella's safety. 

   "Trust me, Spence, this is really hard for me too," Bella said. "But, after everything that happened with Doug and Kit...my heart just hurts each time I walk into work. I used to get excited whenever I went into work, ready to take on the new killer of the day. But now it feels almost empty, like something inside of me is missing."

   "What do you think is missing?" Spencer asked. 

   Bella let out a sigh, "Spence, I started working at the BAU when I was 19. I just turned 24 and deep down...I don't know why I got that job. I don't understand how or why I got that job. There's a piece of me that feels like the work I do isn't enough. I feel like I let people down and maybe it's because I'm too young or too unexperienced...but I feel like I'm letting you all down sometimes."

   "Bells," Spencer said with a shake of his head. "You don't let any of us down! You're one of the best profilers we have! We couldn't have solved that Doug case without you, you lead us basically straight to him! You are so important to us, Bella. All of your work is so important to us."

   With a nod, Bella looked down at her orange juice, "I'm just wondering if I'll like change better. A job where I don't constantly have a gun to my head. A job where I don't have to look at photos of dead children. I know that JJ just left, I know that Strauss just made her transfer. I know that me leaving won't be easy on the team, but it's for my own good. I put in my two week notice with Hotch already."

   Spencer frowned before giving a weak grin. He set down his cup of coffee and stood up, walking over to Bella and planting a kiss on the top of her head. He hugged her from behind, wrapping his arms around her shoulders as she reached up, holding onto him as well. 

   "I just want you to be happy," Spencer said softly. "If resigning means that you're happy and feel safer, then I support you 100%. I just want you to live a happy life, darling."

   Bella grinned and breathed in slowly, trying to ignore the ache in her heart. Spencer kissed the top of her head again before letting go of her, walking off to go continue to get ready for a late case he was called out to. She stood up, pouring the rest of her orange juice down the drain before making her way over to the couch. She laid down and stared up at the ceiling. Was she making the right decision?