Visions Of Gideon

"I have loved you for the last time"

Episode: "Nelson's Sparrow" (Season 10, Episode 13)

*          *          *

   Bella's footsteps were slow and quiet as she made her way into the old cabin. She pushed open the front door, preparing herself for the worst. She looked up to see Kate, JJ, Hotch, Rossi, Penelope, Derek, and Charlotte all gathered around a body covered with a sheet.

   With a shake of her head, Bella looked down at the blood stain on it before looking back up. She met Hotch's eye, her bottom lip quivering as her eyes watered. Hotch attempted to look emotionless, wanting to stay strong for the team.

   "Don't tell me it's true," Bella whispered. 

   Hotch fell silent for a couple of seconds before giving a slight nod, "It's Gideon."

   "No," Bella cried. 

   Behind her, Spencer shook his head and ran out of the cabin with tears in his eyes. Bella placed her hands over her mouth in shock as more tears continued to stream out of her eyes. With a shaky hand, she attempted to wipe them away but felt more come on.

   "Bella," Charlotte whispered, reaching out and touching her younger sister on the shoulder.

   "I--I need some air," Bella breathed, shrugging off Charlotte's hand before pushing past Derek.

   Making her way outside, Bella's eyes glanced up to see Spencer leaning up against their car with his face buried in his hands. With a sniffle, Bella wiped her tears away and collected herself. She knew that Spencer was going to take this terribly, she knew that his heart was probably shattering into a million different pieces.

   She approached him slowly, gently placing her hand on his back as she heard him lightly cry into his hands. She started to rub his back in circles, trying to soothe him and make him feel better. 

   "Spencer," Bella whispered. "I'm so sorry."

   "He's dead," Spencer continued to cry. "How the fuck does this happen? He's dead!"

   "I know."

   "I don't see him for almost 8 years and someone murders him!"

   Bella struggled to find any words, "I know."

   Spencer pulled his hands away, large streaks of tears staining his face. Bella frowned, using her hand to wipe away his tears. He continued to sniffle, trying to control himself but not finding himself able to.

   "He was like my dad, Bella," Spencer continued to cry. "He helped me so much and he--he was important to me. I looked up to him. Then he just disappeared and...got murdered."

   "I know, Spence," Bella said softly. "Hey, we're going to find who did this. Ok? We'll find them."

   "What if we don't? What if Gideon's killer walks free?"