~Prologue~

1998

1998

Bella sat quietly on the beach, allowing the sand to tickle her skin. The waves crashed around her as she closed her eyes. The sound of the waves was like music to her ears. It was peaceful, almost enough to put her to sleep.

She heard a soft sniffle beside her, causing her to look over. She furrowed her eyebrows, noticing a girl that appeared to be at least 17 sitting next to her. She was wearing a bright pink prom dress, mascara and eyeliner smeared underneath her eyes. Bella furrowed her eyebrows as the teen continued to cry next to her.

"What's wrong?" Bella asked softly. "Why are you crying?"

"He took my friend to prom," she cried. "They betrayed me."

"What? Who?"

The girl frowned, "Him."

Bella looked down to see a large red stain on the girl's prom dress. She gasped and jumped back as the girl looked down at the wound as well. She looked back up and over at Bella, her curly blonde hair messy as if she had been laying on it.

"You should go to the hospital," Bella whispered to her. "That looks like a nasty cut. You don't want it to get infected."

"It doesn't matter," the girl said with a shake of her head. "He doesn't like me. Why should I try to look pretty if he doesn't even like me?"

"I think you look very pretty."

"I want HIM to think I look pretty!"

The girl got up, dusting the sand off her dress. She turned on her heel and began to run. Bella stood up quickly, her eyes trailing after the girl.

"Wait!" she yelled out. "What's your name?"

The girl turned around before shaking her head. She turned and continued to run. Bella frowned and felt hurt fill her heart.

"Wait!" she called out again. "I want to help you!"

Bella began to chase after the girl, her feet getting caught up in the sand. She continued to chase the girl, her prom dress flowing in the wind behind her. Bella began to catch up to her, reaching her hand out more and more to try and grab her. She finally reached out, swiping at the girl before she suddenly disappeared sending Bella falling to the ground.

She groaned, spitting the sand out of her mouth. She heard a pesky laugh behind her as she sat up, dusting her shorts and shirt off.

"What are you even doing?" Aurora asked with a laugh, licking a strawberry popsicle.

"I was chasing that girl," Bella said, turning around and trying to spot her again.

Aurora frowned, "I'm going to tell mommy that you're talking to ghosts again."

"I don't care," Bella mumbled. "None of you believe me anyway."

She began to march off as Aurora frowned, chasing behind her. Some of her popsicle began to melt onto her hand, earning a shriek from the young girl. She quickly licked it off as she caught up to Bella.

"I believe you," she said.

"That doesn't count," Bella said. "You're only 10."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Bella shook her head, "Nevermind."

The two sisters began to make their way towards the house, the hot sun beating down on their warm skin. Aurora finished the rest of her popsicle, getting a brain freeze in the process. Bella frowned and looked down at the ground, wishing that someone would listen to her.

The things she saw haunted her and kept her up at night. She never understood why or how she saw what she saw. All she knew was that she wished her family would listen to her the same way Gianna and Hyacinth would listen to her.

She felt alone in this crowded world.