Bella's Lullaby

Bella watched as Buddy sat in front of the TV, watching Elmo, and snacking on a bowl of Cheerios

   Bella watched as Buddy sat in front of the TV, watching Elmo, and snacking on a bowl of Cheerios. Gianna busied herself at the stove, taking the tea kettle off and pouring a cup for Bella. She handed the cup to the blonde, earning a nod of thanks, before sitting down at the kitchen table with her. 

   "So...what happened?" Gianna asked as Bella blew on the steaming tea, attempting to cool it down. 

   "It's been so difficult, Gi," Bella said with a shake of her head. "Spencer has been taking care of me for weeks, so I wanted to show that I could be better. I got myself and made dinner and he...he stumbled home drunk."

   "Aw, Bella," Gianna sympathized. 

   Bella shook her head, "That wasn't even the worst part. He--he had Dilaudid in his pocket."

   Gianna gasped, "Are you serious?"

   With a nod, Bella bit back tears, "I didn't want to believe it at first. I-I got so angry and he told me that he didn't take any...he just thought about it. I believe him, I know he's stronger than that. I know he wouldn't just give in to the drug again. But I--I couldn't do it. I couldn't handle one more bad thing."

   "That's completely understandable."

   Bella sniffled, "Am I a bad person for leaving him?"

   "No! God, no! Bella, you did what you thought was best for yourself. That's completely ok!"

   "I shouldn't have left him, he was in a terrible place and I left him. I-I'm an awful wife."

   Gianna stood up, wrapping her arms around her friend. Bella hid her tears, her eyes aching from her nights filled with no sleep and only tears. Her entire body felt heavy and weak. She despised every feeling that was in her body.

   She forgot what happiness felt like.

   "Bella, you are not an awful wife," Gianna said. "Do not even think that. You have been through a lot and you are doing what is best for yourself. You needed time away and that's ok."

   "It is?" Bella asked, her voice shaky.

   "Yes, you'll go back when you're ready. Everyone understands, Bella. Aurora is with Spencer right now, she's taking care of him."

   Bella nodded, "Ok...ok."

   Gianna smoothed out her hair, "When is the last time you slept?"

   "Probably...2 or 3 days ago."

   "Oh, Bella. You need to get some rest."

   "I can't fall asleep, I can't at all. I have nightmares all the time."

   Gianna nodded, "Go into the bathroom, there's some sleeping pills in the cabinet."

   "Will they actually help?"