The Funeral

"I'm coming up only to show you wrong"

*          *          *

   Bella stared blankly at the ceiling above her. She watched as the ceiling fan slowly moved in circles, as if it was worn out and exhausted. Her eyes felt heavy, yet she wasn't able to fall asleep. She couldn't fall asleep. She didn't want to fall asleep. She knew that all of her dreams would just be about death and misery, like usual.

   Her breaths were shallow as she folded her hands on her stomach, feeling her stomach rise and lower with each breath. The sound of owls and crickets filled her ears as she rolled over on her side, trying to get comfortable. She snuggled into her soft pillow, pulling the warm blankets up higher on her body. 

   She stared at Spencer's peaceful face, knowing that he didn't have to worry about any nightmares. He didn't have to worry about dreaming about the future or the past. He could rest peacefully without his gut aching about an impending death the next day.

   Reaching out, Bella ran her fingers through Spencer's curly mop of hazel colored hair. Her fingers got tangled in it each time, the curls wrapping around her fingers and refusing to let go. She lowered her hand, tracing over his soft skin and delicate features. She watched as his nose twitched before his lips turned up in a soft grin.

   Gently, Bella pulled her hand away and watched as his eyes slowly opened. He blinked before settling his eyes on hers, allowing his grin to grow even wider. 

   "I like when you do that," he whispered, his voice gentle and sugary. 

   "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," Bella said back to him, her voice low. 

   "It's alright, love. Why are you up? Did you have a bad dream?"

   "No, I haven't slept yet." 

   "You need to get some rest, sweetheart." 

   Bella frowned, "I can't, I know my dreams are going to be bad. I--I don't want to sleep."

   Without any warning, tears fell from Bella's eyes and onto her pillow. She sniffled, embarrassed by the sudden wave of emotions that came over her. Spencer reached out, using his thumb to wipe her tears away. 

   "Please don't cry," Spencer whispered, reaching out and wrapping his arms around her. "Please don't cry, my love."

   "Tomorrow is going to be a bad day, Spencer," Bella sniffled, tracing her fingers over the soft fabric of Spencer's shirt. "Tomorrow is going to be such a bad day."

   "I know, honey, I know. It's going to be ok, I promise. It will all be ok."

   Bella snuggled deeper into Spencer, wanting to melt inside his arms. She clung onto him like he was a life preserver and she was drowning in the middle of the ocean. She wiped her tears away, attempting to calm herself down.