Over My Head

"Everyone knows I'm in over my head"

*          *          *

   It was wrong. Everything felt completely wrong. Bella and Spencer didn't go into work together anymore, Spencer having to go into work 2 hours earlier than Bella. She would hear him roll out of bed quietly, not wanting to disturb her. His feet were light on the floor as he moved around, drawers opening and closing as he looked for a clean pair of pants, unaware that Bella had a stack of them downstairs fresh out of the laundry. 

   Bella would pretend that she was still sleeping, trying to ignore the sound of Spencer's safe opening and the pungent smell of the coffee he was brewing downstairs. She would hear Spencer whisper for Rigby, filling his bowl up and giving him more treats than he should. Breakfast for two suddenly became breakfast for one, Spencer sitting alone at the breakfast table while he read the newspaper, trying to find any article that wasn't about a recent murder or corrupt politicians. 

   Eventually Bella would turn over in bed, wishing that Spencer was still there beside her and keeping her warm. Her fingers would stretch out, feeling the empty side of the bed turn cold. She would press her face into Spencer's pillow, for his scent of vanilla and new books still lingered there. 

   She would close her eyes and try to fall back asleep, hoping to get some rest before having to spend a mindless day at work. Quiet footsteps would come up the stairs, the bedroom door creaking open as she felt Spencer approaching her. He would bend down, planting a gentle kiss on her cheek before leaving for work. His scruff rubbed up against her cheek, tickling her and pulling her out of a possible slumber. 

   "Don't go," Bella would whisper every morning. "Don't go to work."

   "I'll be home tonight," Spencer would say, even though he couldn't always be confident in his answer.

   Bella despised being in the linguistics unit, despite her Ph.D. in the subject. It felt effortless, like she was putting absolutely no thought into what she was doing. The most exciting thing she could do was translate letters from possible terrorists. It was nothing like the BAU, she wasn't able to leave her office at all. She was living the dreaded 9-5 lifestyle, the type of life that she never dreamt of having. She craved the action she got back on the field. She craved being able to go out and catch serial killers. Sometimes she even missed having the occasional gun pointed at her head. 

   The worst part about not being in the BAU was the fact that she constantly worried about Spencer. Whenever she heard about a new case, she felt her heart drop into her stomach. She feared that something would happen to Spencer while he was out on the field. She dreaded getting a phone call that Spencer had been hurt...or killed. She rather be on the field, knowing every possible threat and being able to protect Spencer from it. She hated being so blind to what was going on around her. It wasn't fair.