E I G H T E E N | The One

You are your own home

*****

"I think you need to go find the others now" I said looking up at Elliot. 

"I don't want to" Elliot replied leaning forward to lean his chin on my shoulder. I laughed pushing him away. "You don't have a choice", I stood up taller pushing him towards the door. 

"Come with me" he said reaching his hand out for me to take.

"Nope, I'm going to look around for a bit, you carry on" I laughed pushing him out once more. Once he was out of sight I let out a breath of relief. Instead of following the direction that Elliot walked towards, I went the opposite way and through the exit doors, basking in the fresh air. I walked a little further finding a spot on the wall to take a seat on. It had been just over a week since Elliot had asked me out but he had also requested me to be patient whilst he planned it out to perfection. I couldn't stop a smile from slipping onto my lips as I thought back to him. He was a love came without warning; he had my heart before I could even say no. Despite knowing how I felt for Elliot, doubts crawled in like a plague and there was only one thing I could have done to get a clearer picture. 

The phone rung for a couple of seconds before my mum finally answered. 

"Hi, mum" I sighed into the phone.

"Oh, baby. I've missed you. Finally remember me?" mum cried into the phone. My heart clenched at the idea of not being able to hug my mum.

"I've called you everyday, mum" I laughed. "But I miss you too. So much" I choked.

"Are you okay, baby? You sound so sad" I heard shuffling over the line as my mum took a seat.

"I'm not, mum. I'm happy. So happy that it's scaring me" I admitted swapping the phone from one ear to the other.

"What are you scared about, Jess?" She asked, so I spilled. I told her about Elliot, how he came crashing in without a warning, tearing down every wall that I had put up. 

"Am I being stupid? Mum, is he the one?" I sighed shutting my eyes tightly. 

"Baby, if you ever wonder if he's the one ask yourself, does his laugh warm up your body inside out? Does he know that when you say that you want two scoops, it really means you want three? Do you sit in the living room and laugh hard at stupid things? Does he tell you how beautiful you are? And more importantly, when he tells you, do you believe him?" I listened intensely to my mums words.

"When he asks you what you want for dinner and you say that you're not hungry, does he ask if you've eaten today? Does he kiss you good morning? Goodnight? Just because?" she continued. "Do you know if he likes his coffee black? Or does he like sugar and cream, but not too much. Do you know when he prefers tea to coffee? I never quite figured that one out with your father, so if you have, you're already a better woman that me" I laughed at her words thinking about my father.