Prologue

Starve you distractions, feed your focus

*****

I woke up to the suffocating smell of disinfectant invading my nostrils, slowly choking me. Where was I?  The room was silent apart from my heavy breathing and a constant beeping that  surrounded me.  I slowly opened my eyes, squinting in attempt to sharpen the blurred images before me. I glanced around and took in the blue and white colour schemed hospital room. How long have I been here? Why was I here?

"Ah, Miss Campbell, glad to see you're finally awake" A voice spoke above me. I didn't reply closing my eyes once again; the throbbing of my head getting worse.

"Any improvement?" a new voice spoke up. Mum?  I opened my mouth to call out to her - flickering my eyes open once more - but no sound came out.

"It's okay, sweetie. I'm right here" My mother ran over as soon as she saw me struggling.

"Can we get her up?" Another voice piped in looking at the greying doctor for permission. Dad was here too?

"As soon as I've done my observations" he nodded attaching the blood pressure cuff to my arm. Once satisfied, my bed was lifted and soon I was sitting.

"All the vitals seem okay, but we'll be continuing our hourly observations for now. I'll give you a minute" as soon as the door closed I was engulfed in a pair of arms.

"Oh, thank God you're okay. I was so scared" my mother sobbed into my shoulder.

"Mum" I croaked feeling the burn in my throat.

"Oh, sweetie, I thought I was never going to hear you say that again" she sobbed harder.

"Mum, what happened" I coughed out. Taking a deep breath my mother moved away from me retrieving a glass of water - which I thankfully took - and sat at the end of my bed.

"Darling, I think you should rest for a while before we explain anything" dad explained walking over to squeeze my hand.

"I need to know what happened." I knew it was something bad. Something really bad. How? because of my mother. My mother was a very well-collected women. Yet, here she was sat on the end of my bed, shaking uncontrollably.

Silence.

"Somebody please tell me what happened" my anxiety was rising. My mother scooted over to hold my free hand.

"You were in a car crash" --- there was a pause --- "you hit your head pretty bad and have been out for months, always coming in and out of consciousness".

"How?" I choked.

"You went to the movies with Daniel and on the way back yo-" mother stopped talking as she choked on a sob, dad instantly ran to wrap his arms around her as he also wept. Daniel was in the car?

"Where's Daniel?"

More silence.

"Mum, where's Daniel?" the beeping that filled the room began to speed up. "Where is Daniel, dad?" no reply.

"Jess, calm down. You shouldn't stress yourself out like this" dad looked between me and my monitoring machine which was going off like crazy.

"Where is Daniel?!" I yelled sitting up further in my bed, ignoring the protest of my body.

"He's gone" my mother choked out before she hid her face into my fathers chest, heavy sobs racking through her body. My body fell still. Gone? He couldn't be gone.

"He can't be" I choked only just being able to form coherent words.

"No, no he can't be. Where is he. This isn't a joke Daniel, come out" I yelled frantically searching for him.

"Sweetie, stop" Dad moved away from my mother to wrap his arms around me. I pushed him away.

"We've had his funeral. We didn't know when you were going to wake up and we had to bury him" my mother whispered staring at the blank wall ahead.

"He can't be gone" I whimpered as the monitor began slowing down. Ignoring the yelling of my name, I drifted - once again - back into unconsciousness.

*****

Warning: This is a fast-paced book. If you don't like relationships moving too fast this probably isn't the book for you but I would say please trust the process there's more to it than what meets the eye.

This story has been long overdue but I didn't want to commit to anything that I knew I couldn't keep up with. But with this current Pandemic being a frontline worker as a nurse it was hard dedicating myself to wattpad . As a student nurse I'm still extremely busy trying to manage the long work-shifts and my social life (currently non-existent) and academic work. Working in the healthcare field is difficult but that's what I signed up for. Everyone please stay safe and please follow the rules to stay safe. I hope you all enjoy this story and give it as much love as you gave all my previous books. Love you all my angels.