T W E N T Y - S I X | Forgot

Kindness always comes back

*****

Elliot had driven me back home to get a change of clothes before he drove me down to the hospital. Despite convincing me that there was a solid reason behind the lies I still couldn't bring myself to look anybody in the eye. There was an extra load knowing that it wasn't just one person lying, it was literally everyone I've ever trusted. And damn, that hurt. 

"You'll get your answers today" Elliot said lowly as we walked into Daniels room. I took a seat next to his bed before turning to face Daniel.

"I just hope what your saying is true because if not I won't even look at any of you ever again" I said before turning back around.

"We've all struggled, Jess. We didn't want to do this. We had to do this" Elliot said taking a seat on the sofa across the room. I didn't reply to him and instead focused on Daniel. I was struggling to come to the terms with the fact that Daniel was here, with me, alive. I sat there for around an hour before the doctors finally began coming around to assess the patients. 

"What's the situation with Daniel" I asked David when he finally walked in through the room. David looked at me with a kind smile before turning to look at Elliot with a small nod. Turned out that David was Daniels doctor the entire time too.

"Jess, I'll explain everything" David said. "Why don't you follow me? We can go sit somewhere" I did as the David asked and Elliot followed behind quietly. 

"Jess, your parents are here" Elliot informed as we stepped into an relatives room. My parents had taken the last flight from Heathrow yesterday and 11 hours later here they were. I shook away the sick feeling in my stomach when I thought about facing my parents. 

"I'll give you a few minutes to settle before I come back" David said before letting us be. Elliot stood by the door for a few minutes before coming to take a seat next to me.

"Jess, you're going to learn a lot of things today. Just please...please try and not freak out." I looked up at Elliot who seemed to have aged over the last few hours. 

"I can't lose you again" he whispered lowly hoping I wouldn't hear but I did.

"What? What do you mean ag-" I began asking but was cut off by the door swinging open.

"Aw, Jess" my mum came running through the door gathering me in her arms. I hadn't seen my mum in nearly three months but in that moment I couldn't bring myself to hug her back. Not even when my dad followed behind her, his face tear soaked.