T W E L V E | Chance and Fate

See the good

See the good

*****

Elliot missed his ex, whoever she was. Missing her meant his mind kept wandering back to her, constantly thinking about her, them and everything in between. It's sad how someone you loved can turn into a complete stranger. How every moment you shared gets lost in the past. Every kiss, every laugh, every smile forgotten only to remember the fights, the lies, and the pain. You don't regret them but you don't want them back either, yet you would still give anything just to spend one more day with them the way it used to be. 

I didn't want to think about it, I really didn't, but that night the only question playing in my head was, was I a rebound? Don't be stupid, Jess. Don't ruin something good just because you think it might play out a certain way. Let his behaviour decide that. But I couldn't just go on as we did, could I? If Elliot was still hung up about his ex he wasn't ready to move on. 

I sighed slamming my locker shut, hitching my bag higher on my shoulder, before walking to the cafeteria. Everything had been awkward between Elliot and I this morning, mostly because of me, but he had taken a hint and decided to give me some space. 

"Aren't you going to get something to eat?" Alyssa asked as I took a seat opposite her. I shook my head slightly, "I'm not hungry". I looked at Sira who was very evidently avoiding me.

"Sira, it's fine." I laughed. Bless her soul, I could literally see the tension ease off her face.

"I'm sorry for throwing that on you, Jess. I didn't mean to" She said just as Jacob and Elliot joined us. 

"It's fine, Sira. It really isn't that big of a deal. Infact, I'm glad you brought her up. Tell me more about her" I ignored Elliot's gaze burning into the side of my head and instead fixed it on Sira. Sira looked like a deer caught in headlights as she looked between Elliot and I. When I raised my eyebrows in question, she cleared her throat looking down at her hands.

"She was amazing. There was this feeling of optimism and joy whenever she was around but that's gone now." I felt Elliot stiffen next to me, his fists clenching. "It's sad, but as the days pass, I begin to realise just how much we all had grown to care for her. Not as Elliot's girlfriend, but as someone in and of herself" Sira smiled to herself as she reminisced her. "I miss her", she finished off.

"If she was so good, why did she leave" I couldn't help but sound bitter. No one had a chance to reply before Elliot stood up, his fists crashing against the table. Our table - and every table surrounding us - fell into a hush.

"No one is to bring this up again" he hissed looking at Alyssa, Jacob and Sira. The trio nodded sullenly not meeting his eyes. He glanced at me once before he turned around and left. I should have paid more attention to the warning bells my brain were sending me from the start, but my heart was a stubborn and it was set on one person.