T W E N T Y - F I V E | Alive

Just growing with the flow

*****

Beep beep beep. 

A sense of deja'vu hit me when I woke up to the sound of beeping once more. The only difference this time was instead of my parents, I had Elliot instead. I groaned sitting up leaning against the bed headrest, taking the O2 probe off my finger.

"Jess" Elliot called coming to take a seat next to me. That's when it hit me again. Daniel. He was here. I pushed the sheet off my legs jumping out the bed before nearly collapsing, the pain in my ankle shooting up through my leg. 

"Jess, wait" Elliot grabbed onto my arms leading me back towards the bed. I shook him off limping for the door instead.

"Jess, just please come back.  Dad needs to see you" Elliot begged following behind him. When he grabbed onto my arms another time is when I snapped.

"Let go of me" I yelled making Elliot take a step back. My heart was in my throat the entire time, my breaths coming out as pants. "I...I need to find him" I said looking back at Elliot, my eyes blurry with tears. I continued back to the room I had seen the man in. 

"Jessica? What are you doing out here?" A nurse asked when she saw me walk across her. I ignored her and continued my walk towards the room, praying with everything in my heart. Please let it be him. I froze when I was a few feet from the door. I snapped my eyes shut getting ready for another heartbreak. Opening them up again, I took one more step pushing open the door and taking a step inside.

"Oh my God" I cried my knees buckling but as always Elliot was right behind me to catch me. It was him. It really was him. I pushed myself off Elliot walking towards the bed that Daniel laid in. There laid my ventilated twin brother, unconscious, a trachy tube lodged into his throat. He was alive. But he couldn't be. My twin who was supposed to be dead, yet here he was. I covered my mouth with my hands when my small sobs turned into a loud cry. Elliot sat on the floor with me, his arms wrapped tightly around me as I continued to cry.

"Jess, please. Please, come back to your room" Elliot begged pulling me into him. Daniel was alive, he was really alive. In-between the cries the joy of finding my brother seeped through leaving a small smile playing on lips, just before the shock settled in. 

"I...I need to tell mum and dad. They need to know he's alive" I said turning to look and Elliot and was evidently avoiding eye contact. "Why's he even here? How is he here?", I continued to question. 

"They know" came a small whisper from him. I took a step back at the revelation. They knew?

"What?" I asked even though I heard exactly what he had said. They lied to me?