Chapter 87

Tord went back to the bed and sat down. He was exhausted, and definitely scared. Every day on base felt like years, he could barely remember what songs they were learning in chorus and Tord missed it. He missed his mother, Edd, Matt and Mina. He wanted to go home, where he felt safe and loved. At least he had Tom here. Tom was still outside taking the call, so Tord took the opportunity to change into pajamas. He flopped his head on his pillow and curled up. He was terrified that he would never leave base, that he'd be stuck here with his father and Anastasia. Tord let a whimper followed by a sniffle. There was a knock on the door. Tord rose to his feet and did his best to wipe away the newly formed tears. He opened the door and Tom stepped back in. Tord went back to his bed and stuck his hands in the cold night air implying he wanted Tom to hold him in his arms. Tom smiled and cuddled up to Tord. Tord buried his face in Tom's chest and gripped his shirt. He just breathed in the comforting scent till he fell into slumber.

Tord was awoken by banging on his door. He groggily stood and got dressed in uniform, not bothering to fix his hair or wake Tom. He opened the door to a soldier with a look of wild fear in their eyes.

"Sir, red leader needs to see you. And I'd watch your back, he's fuming!"

The soldier scurried away and Tord went as fast as he could to the infirmary. He stepped in cautiously and dodged a book flying for his head.

"You retarded bitch! You can't even follow orders!"

His father's words stung for a moment. Anastasia sat delicately on a stool next to his father's bed with a sickeningly smug grin.

"Ever so sorry for my impudence Sir."

He edged closer to his fuming father and flinched as Red leader clenched his hands around Tord's windpipe. Tord could practically feel himself going purple until his father dropped his hands.

"If you weren't my only heir I would've strangled you right then."

Tord gasped for breath receiving a muffled giggle from Anastasia.

"Now you're going to apologize for what you did to Anastasia last night."

Tord glanced at the girl who was faking a betrayed and hurt look.

"Anastasia I'm ever so sorry for slapping you. But you insulted my mother."

"Wait, what did you say about Trisha?" Red Leader looked at Anastasia in confusion.

"Only that she's a whore sir."

Red leader frowned then smiled.

"Yes she is."

Tord did his best to hold himself back, he really did, but he lunged at his bed ridden leader and attempted to slam a fist into his face. Red leader caught it in his palm and punched Tord to the ground, hitting the wall as he fell.

"Anastasia beat the traitor."

"Yes sir."

Anastasia stood and cracked her knuckles before plunging her combat boot repeatedly into Tord's side.

"This is what you get for trying to betray our great red leader!"

She snarled in Norwegian.

Tord bit his lip and took the seemingly endless blows to his side.

The door behind him opened and Tom stepped in.

"Hey Tord are you in here-"

Tom froze his eyes wide as he watched the eyes all looking at him. Anastasia got in one more kick before Tom rushed forward and scooped the battered Tord into his arms and set him behind his back.

"Stay there."

Tord nodded and scooted as much as he could from Anastasia and his father.

"Stand down soldier."

"Get out of the way eyeless."