Chapter 34

Tom woke up at about three in the morning. He definitely wasn't going to go back to sleep, so he decided it was time to sneak back into his childhood home. He emptied his duffel on the floor and threw it over his shoulder. He then existed the motel, walking towards the house he had left in a flurry.

Tom entered the house through the window. He didn't think that would work, but it seemed luck was on his side. The scattered wood still rested on his floor, and nothing had moved. He went to his dresser and pulled out more clothes, filling the duffle. He then grabbed his backpack and went to head back out the window. Tom then jogged back to his motel room, and laid in bed until it was about five am.

He didn't know what to do for the remaining hours of school, so he put on loose shorts and a gray t-shirt and went outside. The air was crisp and everything was silent. He had never seen his town--especially this specific part-- be so peaceful. He didn't really want this scene to end, and he wanted to see every aspect of the town like this. So Tom decided to do something he wouldn't ever do. He went on a run. Normally Tom wouldn't touch exercise with a 10 foot pole. But he was stressed, the air was cold, and the town was quiet.

His feet pressed against the ground, a soft pounding drumming in his head from the beat. The wind blew against his face, almost making him cold. But his body naturally heated due to the vigorous movement. He didn't notice how much time was passing. Not until he saw other people up and about, moving on with their daily lives did he realize that the time had passed at all. He stopped a random person on the street.

"Hey, ma'am. What time is it?"

"It's about 7:00am."

"Thank you!"

Tom started to run back home, and quickly hopped in the shower. The cold water splashed against his body, forcing an adrenaline rush while pushing away his sweat. Once that was over he got dressed, threw his backpack over his shoulder, and started walking towards school. His hair was extra fluffy from the water, and more uncontrolled. He wished he had his hoodie to hide his hair at this moment. But the idea of Tord wearing it around his house made him not request it back. He headed to the back and met up with the rest of the guys.

"Yo."

"Hey."

"Sup."

"Welcome."

Tom caught Tord's eyes staring at his hair. He gave him a questioning look, and Tord just shrugged back. The bell then rang and Tom headed to Math.

Tom was struggling throughout the whole school day. He felt so sick that he didn't go to lunch. And when he had to walk to work he almost felt like passing out. Maybe it was because the most recent thing he had eaten was the sandwich Tord had shared with him. He just had to wait out till Sunday to get his paycheck. Then he'd be in the clear. Luckily he had rented out the motel room for a long time, so he wouldn't need to pick up rent for a while. At this moment his main focus was getting food.

He entered the small cafe, being greeted by Adam who was early as usual. Next to him was Sherlie. He smiled at the duo, and started his shift.

Throughout his work hours his vision kept getting dimmer, and his body started to feel heavier. Towards the very end he felt his mind go blank.

Tom woke up feeling groggy. His head was on something soft and he felt really warm. He slowly opened his eyes to see himself laying on one of the booths in the cafe, his head was resting on a black hoodie. He recognized it as Adam's. He slowly got up to see Adam cleaning the counters. Adam looked over at Tom.

"Hey, you up?"

"No, just sleep sitting."

"Ha ha, very funny. You have a fever."

"Not surprised."

"Why?"

"No reason."

Adam looked at him but just shrugged.
"Sherlie didn't count this off your pay."

"I'll have to thank her. I should head home."

"Okay, be careful. Do you need me to drive you home?"

"Nah, I'll be fine."

With that Tom left the small cafe and headed back home.