Chapter 50

Tom spammed Tord's phone with text, begging for a chance to talk to him. He needed to know what was wrong. If it wasn't a Saturday he would have investigated at school. And if this didn't involve Tord he would have gone to Edd or Matt. But at this moment he didn't know who to go to. He needed help. Tom grabbed his hoodie and headed out, looking for something to cure the currently emotions stewing in him.

He found himself heading towards the flower store he had visited a couple days earlier.

"Hey Mrs. Laila."

"Hello dearie. You came back soon."

"Yes, well I made a mistake."

"And what was that?"

"I don't know."

"Well what happened."

Tom sighed and moved to a seat that Liala had pulled out from behind the counter.

"I went to a party."

"Oh, wow. What a crime."

"Yup."

"Anything else significant happen?"

"This weird girl kissed me. And I confessed to the whole school that I'm gay."

"Oh wow. That's big."

"Yeah."

"He probably saw the kiss. It's kinda obvious, y'know."

"But wouldn't that imply he likes me?"

"Exactly."

Tom knew she was right. He just didn't want to admit it.

"So why did you come here to talk? Why not your mother?"

"Afraid she's dead ma'am."

"And your father?"
"Dead as well."

"Then you are now my grandchild. Come here anytime you like."

"Thank you ma'am."

You should come in more."

"I will."

"Now would you like some flowers for the boy who shall not be named?"

Tom softly chuckled and nodded. Mrs. Laila was careful when it came to her flowers. She was very protective of them, and only sold to customers that she saw fit. As she tended her flowers Tom and her turned to conversation.

"So who was your wife."

"Casey. God she was lovely."

"What was she like."

"Well my Casey had the nicest smile. It lit up the room. And boy did she have a pair on her. No matter what she was going to make her opinion known."

"Sounds lovely."

"She was."

"How'd she pass?"

"Cancer. Lung to be specific."

"I'm sorry."

"What can you do? Don't be sorry. We are mortal. Death comes whether we like it or not. But that's what makes our lives so valuable. We don't have the time to waste it."

She handed Tom a group of flowers and gave him a soft smile.

"These are purple hyacinths. They mean sorrow or forgiveness, felt applicable."

"Thank you ma'am."

"Come again whenever."

"Will do."

Tom stood in front of Tord's house. He was scared of what would happen. But he knocked anyway. And a very pissed looking Trisha opened the door.