Chapter 56

Tom had been with Tord the majority of that day until his mother knocked on the door and Tom practically jumped out the window. He then took a run back to his house. The sun was still out but the world was changing to a soft gold color. Tom honestly didn’t want to go back to his room yet. He did hate Mr. Seas, and he had no idea what the man was up to know, but the room slowly started to feel more lonesome every time he came back to it. So instead he went to the flower shop where his adoptive Grandma worked. 

“Hey Grammy!”

“Don’t call me that. It makes me feel old.”

“You are old.”

“I didn’t ask a sweat covered male to pass the salt.”

Tom softly chuckled and went over to grab the pot in Mrs. Laila’s hands. She motioned for him to move it on the counter. He did so. The elderly woman then started to make a bundle of white roses and lilies.

“You filling out an order?”

“No this is personal.”

Tom simply nodded, feeling it was not his place to ask questions. Until he started to think it through? Didn’t those flowers mean grief?

“They do.”

Mrs. Laila saw his confusion and expanded.

“You said that out loud.”
“Oh.”

“I’m going to the cemetery. Do you mind coming with?”
“Gladly.”

Mrs. Laila slipped on her shoes and headed for the door. Her steps were small as if she had all the time in the world. Though considering her age that probably couldn’t be further from the truth. 

The duo arrived at a cemetery with neatly trimmed grass and a medley of flowers. It was a tidy little death place. Mrs. Laila walked through the place swiftly, finding a small stone with ‘Casey Gudlov’ carved into it. Mrs. Laila sat down next to the rock and carefully put the flowers down. 

"What was it like?"

"What do you mean?"

"Being openly lesbian back in the day where it was heavily hated."

"It was a mixed bag. Sometimes you got joy and sometimes you got hate. But it was all worth it. If I could go back I wouldn't change anything."

"How'd she get into flowers?"

"Casey loved 'em since she was little. So as soon as she got any money she'd buy gardening materials. You should have seen our house. Everything had flowers on it."

Tom joined Mrs. Laila on the floor. He stared at the grave stone. A short line read 'a beloved wife and filling presence. She died as she lived: surrounded by flowers.' He wondered what his grave would say. Maybe 'run away and alcoholic.' Maybe something better, but he found it unlikely.

They sat there until darkness overcame town. By then gangs were a problem, so Tom walked Mrs. Laila home; ensuring nothing malicious happened to the sweet woman. He then went to his own home, peacefully sleeping through the night