Chapter 60

At first when Tom felt Tord’s arms around him he felt himself relax. A breath he didn’t know he was holding escaped from his mouth. But then he remembered that this was the boy that ignored him for a whole day. He hadn’t said a word, sent a text, anything. And Tom felt like he was suffocating from it all of yesterday. He almost hadn’t slept a wink due to the anxiety that had erupted. 

Tom didn’t hug him back yet.

“Where were you yesterday?”

“My mom was holding me hostage.”

Tom took a deep breath and quickly held Tord tight. Tord hadn’t been ignoring him. Thank god. Suddenly a shrill screech interrupted the hugging duo.

“OH MY GOD!”
Edd looked ecstatic, he was practically jumping up and down, and he pumped a fist in the air. 

“Yes, my otp!”

“What are you yelling about?”

“You guys finally love each other! I’ve been waiting for this forever! I need to tell Mina.”
“You know Mina?”
“Mina is the best.”

Edd rushed away, pulling out his phone. Matt was too busy staring at his mirror to notice the chaos. Tord was scarlet, which Tom found adorable. But he wouldn’t ever say it. 

The day had been less anxious since Tom knew he hadn’t done anything wrong. And when Tom went to work Tord went with him. The cafe honestly felt happier with Tord, though Adam seemed to disagree.

“Hey Tom!” Adam’s tone changed to bitter when he said hello to Tord. 

“Eyo Adam.”
Tord just ignored him. Which made Tom frown a little but he rubbed it off. Tord sat at a table near the counter as Adam and Tom goofed around, falling into their daily rhythm. 

 When the shift was over Tom grabbed Tords hand and started to drag him somewhere, though Tord had no idea where they were going. 

“I want you to meet someone.”
Tord simply cocked his eyebrow and followed obediently. Tom walked the familiar path to the flower shop. The familiar smell started to drift towards him as he got closer, and he noticed he started walking faster. He finally ducked in to the store and let go of Tord’s hand.

“Grammy!”

“Yes dearie?”

“Can you come here for a moment?”
The small woman hobbled out from the back room, her face and shirt had streaks of dirt on it. 

“Is this the Tord?”

“Yup.”

Mrs. Laila eyed Tord carefully, seeming to analyze him. She put her hand on her hip and continued to look at the boy for a minute before finally looking back at Tom.

“He’s too thin.”

“Mrs. Laila!”

“Look, he’s practically all bone and skin.” She then made eye contact with Tord. “You need to eat more.” 

“I think I eat enough ma’am.”

“Well you’re wrong. Now Tom I need your help in the back.”
Tom went to the back room and Tord awkwardly followed.