Chapter 31

Tord held the phone to his ear as he speed walked home.

Two rings in Trisha picked up.

"TORD LARRISON!!!! There better be a damn good reason you were gone so late. Beyond that, where are you? Are you hurt?"

"Mama, I'm fine. I fell asleep at my friend's house. I'm fine."

"Just get your ass home."

"Will do, love you."

"Love you, too."

Tord ended the call and ran back to the house. Embracing his mother in a hug. His mind traveled at the speed of light as he set down the duffle bag and picked up his backpack. Time was not on his side at the moment, he ran out the door, waving to his mother as he left for the school.

Tord arrived at school, and walked over to the cafeteria. Edd and Matt chatted quietly together. Tord sat down on the ledge jutting out to the left of the stairs into the cafeteria. Matt and Edd gave him a hug each and returned to their conversation, clearly engrossed in the subject.

Tom soon arrived with much neater composure than Tord. His sandy brown hair fluffy and sticking up. He smiled softly at Tord and sat next to him.

"Hey guys."

The boys each gave a wave and re-entered their conversation. It must have been some really good tea they were spilling. Tord was almost jealous. Almost.

"Hi."

He responded to Tom smiling dopely. Tord's face was warm as he took in the details of the eyeless Brit. He wasn't tall, yet he wasn't short. He was built like a stick, easily snapped in two if faced with danger. Tom still looked naked without his blue sweater. Tord had two thoughts at this moment. But one was far more important (and less lewd).

"Hey Tom?"

"Hmm?"

"Um, remember when you lent me your hoodie?"

"Yeah...?"

Tom seemed confused at this as if he were guessing.

"Well, uh. I still have it at home."

"Lame." Tom blushed a scarlet and looked away.

Then Tom went quiet for a moment, lost in thought.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

What would Tord say? 'You were drunk', or better yet, 'I didn't want to tell you so I could keep it for myself.'

Yeah, no.

"I uhhhh."

The shrill sound of the bell interrupted Tord. He smiled awkwardly and walked off to his first period.

Tord struggled with focusing on his classes that day. Every time the teacher didn't hold his attention he thought back to Tom. And then he couldn't think at all. Tom had the ability to make Tord stop thinking for a moment, almost paralyzing him. It was incredible. The classes passed with Tord fighting to stay mentally present through his classes.

At lunch he decided to sit with the choir girls, for otherwise he'd be too busy staring at Tom's subtle perfection to eat. This didn't work however as Tom came to him.