Chapter 111

Tord could see his mother stiffen up.

"I do paperwork, for an organization."

"What organization?"

Trisha clenched the fabric of her dress, Tord could see she was starting to panic.

"Well what is it?"

Tord stepped in to save his mother from potentially slipping up.

"I'm afraid that's confidential Mrs. Laila."

Mrs. Laila looked slightly disappointed and the silence built up once more. Trisha stood from the table.

"Well, would anyone like dessert?"

There were nods and responses of confirmation. Trisha walked to the kitchen and opened a cupboard above the sink and grabbed a stack of plates. She opened the fridge and grabbed a bowl of cut fruit.

"Do hope you don't mind lemon."

Trisha set a cooled lemon meringue pie on the counter. And then started to clear the table of the empty dishes. She brought the fruit, and plates to the newly cleared table, soon followed by the pie. She cut the pie in eighths then put a slice on each plate.

"Here."

It was quiet for a moment as they sat in silence.

"Oh! Oh drat, I forgot forks."

"I'll get them."

"Thank you darling."

Tord stood from the table, sadly letting go of Tom's hand, to grab a handful of forks, and bring them to the table. Tord sat down after placing them down and watched as Trisha took a fork and stabbed her pie.

"Hmm, the meringue is a little sweeter than last time."

Tord took a bite of the pie.

"You're right, it is sweeter than last time."

They all enjoyed pie and fruit for the rest of the meal. It was growing late and Tord was growing weary, to be honest he was always tired, but there's a difference between tired and sleepy.

Mrs. Laila clasped her hands together.

"Well that was a lovely meal. But we best be going."

Tord leaned his head on Tom's shoulder.

"Tommy, can you stay?"

"Sorry babe I can't."

"Can I go with you then?"

Tom Looked up at Trisha and Mrs. Laila.

"It's fine by me."

"Very well. Keep him safe. Darling, why don't you pack an overnight bag?"

Tord nodded, but didn't move. He was so attached to the slight warmth of Tom.