Chapter 14

Tom had never seen this side of Tord. And he most definitely wasn't expecting Tord to defend him. To the extent of literally beating his step dad into submission. And to be honest, it made him really happy. He didn't know why, but seeing Tord like that was comforting. It was a very similar feeling he got when watching the Commie shoot. Except this time that seriousness was aimed towards defending him.

After a couple minutes of walking in silence Tom discovered that 'not here' meant a park. It was one the boys had hung out at a multitude of times when they were little. The place was deserted, grass growing where the mulch used to be. The swings were pushed by the wind, and mud covered the grass. But it was perfect. The serenity and silence blew across with the wind. Tord took a seat in the swing, slowly rocking in it. Tom leaned himself against the post holding up the swings, and looked at Tord.

"Thanks." Tom then clarified; "for defending me."

"Don't thank me, he was a dick. Had it coming. Nobody calls me a fucking pixie and gets away with it."

"Still, you didn't need to get in between me and him like that."

"Like I'm not gonna protect someone important to me?"

Tom felt his face get hot, and he looked away, pretending to be deeply interested with a swaying tree in the distance. He then moved to sit by the swing next to Tord.

"Well, I'm gonna say thanks anyway. Most people don't stand up for me." He then paused for a moment. "Though I won't have anywhere to sleep for a bit, considering if I go there tonight I'll probably get murdered."

"Well that's easy, just crash at my place till things blow over."

"You've already done so much for me though."

"Tom, c'mon. You are crashing at my place."

He then grabbed Tom's wrist and started dragging him along the street towards his house.