Chapter 62

Tom's room started to smell more acidic. He needed to get rid of the bottles of alcohol that were scattered around, but he really didn't want to mess with it. Tom knew he shouldn't be drinking as much as he was, but really wasn't good at coping. Mrs. Laila had almost found out, and if she knew he would have hell to pay. So he went out to buy trash bags.

Tom didn't feel like going to school today. He didn't know why. He just wasn't feeling it. So he shot Tord a text that he was 'feeling sick' and started to clean up the small room. Tom proceeded to throw the bags full of bottles into the dumpster behind the motel. He then went back into his room and piled all of his clothes into his duffel. They were getting dirty and in need of washing. He slung the bag over his shoulder and headed out to the nearest laundromat.

While Tom was sitting in a chair in the back waiting for his clothes, he noticed a familiar figure slouching in the corner.

"Adam."

"Oh, hey Tom."

"What are you doing here?"
"Hunting elephants. What about you?"

"Very funny."
"Always am."
"That's what you think."

"Rude."

"It's my identity."

"A pleasant one to have."

Tom and Adam fell into silence sitting next to each other. The soft drumming of the washing machines rang in the background. Tom found himself at peace. Everything here was so calm. And then his phone rang.

"Hello, this is Tom."
"Heyo little shit."
Tom felt like immediately hanging up. He couldn't forget that voice anywhere. It sounded huskier than normal, which made it all the more creepy."
"What the fuck do you want?"
"I can't check up on my son."

"Don't call me son!"

"Legally you are."

"Which I wish would change."

"I'm trying to get it to. You'll end up in foster care like the unwanted shit you are. I just need to drag you to an orphanage."
"Or you could leave me the fuck alone."

"Nope, so you better come home sonnieo. Otherwise I'm gonna stay as your guardian."