Chapter 59

Tord was curled up amidst his fluffy blankets, working on the class work from the day. His mother sat in a chair at his desk. Just watching him. The setting sun cast her face in shadows. Her eyes were colder than ever. Tord finished the last paper and moved it to the pile of finished documents. Tord opened up his backpack and pulled out his various folders, putting the assignments in each corresponding folder. He placed the folders back in the back pack and zipped it up. Tord flopped backwards.

“Done mama, can we have dinner now?”

His mother stood from her seat, his phone clutched in her hand. She had walked in to wake him up to find him on his phone. She had been holding it captive all day. And would likely do so all week. Trisha wouldn’t let him leave the room for meals. The only time she wasn’t breathing down his neck he was in the restroom. Tord could only relate the feeling to one other person. He felt like he was a bird trapped in a cage. He only felt like this on base.

Trisha walked back into the room with two plates balanced in her hands. She sat down at the end of the bed and placed down the food. When Trisha had time to make it Tord had no idea. 

“How was today?”

“Awful.”

“Love, lighten up. Where’s my brave soldier?”

Trisha held Tord’s face and smiled. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine, but it was a rarity to see if she didn’t love you deeply. 

“I feel like I can’t do anything today, I can’t breathe, I can’t move.”

Trisha looked at his desk, 

“I may have been a little too forbidding.”

“A little?”

Tord was taken aback by this, he spent the entire day on his bed, trapped in his room.

“I haven’t socialized with anyone today!”

Trisha looked offended. 

“Maybe if the sass wasn’t so thick I’d let you go to school.”

Tord sighed for an elongated period of time and recollected himself.

“Mama, I’m sorry. It just… it just reminded me of being on base.”

Trisha digged at her dinner and looked at the floor. 

“Let’s talk about this tomorrow. You best eat a good breakfast tomorrow, walking shouldn’t be much of a challenge to you.”

Trisha stood from his bed. She had yet to return his phone. Tord finished his dinner and rose to his feet. The sensation of pins and needles hit his feet as walked shakily down the stairs. He set his plate is the sink, and kissed his mother’s forehead. 

“G'night mama.” 

Tord walked upstairs and collapsed into his bed. He was absolutely stoked for tomorrow, for tomorrow he could see Tom.

Tord breathed heavy outside of the school, tired from running to the campus. Tord walked tiredly towards the hangout spot. Once he spotted Tom, energy rushed into his body. He sprinted past people and up the stairs.

“Tom!”

Tord tackled his boyfriend to the ground with a hug. Nuzzling Tom’s shirt with his cheek.