Chapter 94

Tom was immediately thrown to the floor when he entered the training room. The soldier who had originally led him had disappeared, and before him was a woman with a large scar over her left eye. Her hair was thrown in a ponytail, and her skin was heavily tanned. Tom noted the number of scars covering her arms, most looking like they were from cigarette butts or knives.

"Stand up." Her voice was surprisingly soft, as were her amber eyes. They seemed to glow softly, like the dying embers of a fire. Tom got up, with the help of the woman's hand. She then shook his hand aggressively, and if it proceeded Tom was convinced his arm would fall off. "My name is Zero. I'll be training you, now let us get started."

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm not that old. Drop the ma'am."

Tom got in a fighting position, and Zero immediately knocked him off his feet. He got up again.

"Stop being flat footed on your back foot, you won't be able to move quickly. This'll burn your calves but you gotta suck it up. Also," she grabbed used her leg to sweep his feet out from under him. "You aren't in line enough. This'll mess up your balance."

Tom nodded, and quickly adjusted. He already knew he was in for hell.

The hours passed by and Tom had now hugged the floor so many times that his whole body was covered in dirt. And Zero wasn't letting him go easy. She pushed him, giving simple encouragement between her fatal blows. Every time he fixed a hole in his guard he was called out for a new one. Nothing made sense, and the flurry of fists kept coming.He felt frustrated, overwhelmed, and most of all disappointed in himself. He finally had someone who believed he had skill, value, and he was being knocked around like a loser. Red Leader saw him as an asset to the army, and at the moment he was nothing more than a failure.

"It's time to stop. You've pushed yourself enough."

Tom thought for a moment before calling out behind the receding figure.

"One more hour?"
"I like your spirit kid, but you aren't gonna get anywhere on energy alone. And you don't have much of that remaining. Get rest, we start again early tomorrow."

She then turned around and headed out of the training facility. Tom left after that, and headed over to where he assumed Tord would be. The Red Leader's office.

Tom was still covered head to toe in dirt when he arrived in front of his boyfriend, and he waited patiently for the other boy's attention. Eventually Tord's stormy eyes looked his way, and Tom gave a tired smile.

"What happened to you."

"I got KOed."
"I can tell. Wanna go look for that observatory now?"

"I already see the brightest star right now."

Tom gave a sly wink, and Tord slightly flushed before getting out of his chair.

"Let's go, cheeseball."