Chapter 46

Tom took his time while walking to Tord’s house. He let his mind wonder, and took in the view of the vibrant blue sky and swaying trees. The serenity calmed Tom, and he wanted to hold onto it. He wanted all the calm he could have in his life. Thought that was a mighty wish to ask upon a god(if there even was one). So instead he tried to drill the view into memory, preserving it in a photo booth in his mind. 

Tom softly knocked on the door, it immediately being opened by Tord’s mother.

“Hello, Mrs. Larrison.”

“Tom.” She gave a nod to him and moved out of his way to let him in. And before he knew it they were sitting in the car, riding to the mall. Tom didn’t talk much, simply looking out the window. Conversation wasn’t really flowing in the small space the trio occupied. Tord seemed to be fidgety, but Tom didn’t think much of it. 

When they go to the mall Tord bid his mother adieu and headed in. They automatically went to a store in the back. It wasn’t a chain and it had the best hoodies in the state. The four friends had found it one day while exploring the mall, and since then that was the only store they ever got sweaters from. On the way to the store Tord kept moving closer to Tom, and instinctively or not Tom kept moving away. When they got to the store Tom went to the back and grabbed the hoodie that was very similar to his first one. It was the same size, and the only difference was it wasn’t worn down and didn’t have the acidic smell of alcohol. He pulled it off the wall and started to head towards the cash register. 

“Do you want to get a different hoodie too?”

Tom paused and looked back at Tord.

“Why.”

“Can never have too many hoodies.”

“Alright.” 

Tom and Tord wandered around the store, looking for a hoodie that would fit Tom’s style. Tord routinely picked up girly hoodies, practically begging Tom to get them. At one point Tord picked up a hoodie with a butterfly on the front. It was a neon pink color, and radiated insanity. Tom jokingly tried it on, and they both laughed for a couple moments. 

In the end Tom got a basic, dark gray hoodie and a replica of his first one. 

They then walked to the food court, this time Tom didn’t move when Tord got closer. Every once in a while Tord’s arm would brush Tom’s, causing both boys to get slightly flustered, though neither chose to move away. 

Tom got a simple slice of pizza to snack on, and Tord got a pile of bacon--bargained from a hamburger joint-- and a drink he only called ‘the souls of the innocent.’ Tom was convinced it was pepsi. Edd wouldn’t be proud. 

Overall the day was uneventful, but Tom had enjoyed Tord’s company. And honestly he wouldn’t dislike spending his days with Tord like this. Though if he was asked he wouldn’t admit it.