Chapter 66

Tom had sped to the flower shop after work. He couldn't wait to be out of the clutches of Mr. Seas. Sure Tom would miss his childhood home, but it hadn't been the same since his mother had died. It had become more of a haunted house. Tom skidded across the concrete of the small store. Mrs. Laila waved at him.

"You ready child?"

"Hell yea!"
"Language!"

She gave him a look, which he just smiled away. Tom hadn't been this happy in a while. He couldn't wait to be free of that man. And not only would he be legally independent, he'd also have someone to depend on. She softly smiled at him, breaking her stagnant face. Her eyes glimmered.

"Let's go."
Tom and Mrs. Laila walked side by side, their steps falling in synch. Everything seemed brighter. The blue was a new shade, a color he could only call happiness.

Around his childhood home the color seemed to diminish, looking similar to the coloring of reefs deep underwater. Everything still held a hue, but it was bland and unsaturated. He fell behind Mrs. Laila at first, but soon walked in front as a barrier. He didn't want her to get hurt from this.

Tom's step-father almost immediately answered the door.

"Finally, I can't wait to get rid of this loser."

"Good to see you too."

The duo stepped in, and Tom didn't relax until Mrs. Laila was a safe distance away from Mr. Seas.

"Do you have the papers?"

"Yup."

"Hand them over."

Mr. Seas slid two papers over, both a soft tan color. Mrs. Laila skimmed them quickly and signed them. She then put them in her bag.

"I'll bring these by the court to get approved. You don't need to show up. This is the last we will see of each other unless you want to die."

She quickly nodded her head towards the door, and Tom jumped up before falling behind her. She gave a curt nod towards the monstrous man, before turning away and heading back to the flower shop. Back home. Tom liked the sound of that, and the rest of the walk back it played through his head. He had a home. It was wonderful.

Mrs. Laila unlocked the shop and led Tom upstairs. She opened a room that was dusty with nothing in it, the wood floors lacked shine and there were cobwebs in the corners.

"We need to fix this up but this will be your room."
"Do you mind if we paint the walls?" Tom's eyes were being blinded by the pinkness of the room.

"It's your room now dearie, do as you wish. Though you'll have to buy that yourself. I'll get you a bed and dresser, as well as a lamp. But the rest is up to you."
Tom nodded, plans of the room running through his head. He loved it. This room was everything to him already, and he hadn't been in it for more than a minute. Mrs. Laila clapped his back and headed back down to the shop.

At the end of the day Tom had covered the room in navy blue paint and repolished the floor. It was shining and no longer looked unabandoned.