XXVI

Placet

(please)

~~~

"What about this one?" Namjoon asks and holds up a Christmas tree, having spotted it among many others. "It's really cute and the needles don't hurt."

Jungkook turns around, examines the suggestion, then shakes his head and says "not thick enough. I want something really nice, but not too big. It's Jins first Christmas and I want for it to be perfect."

At that, Namjoon nods and lays the tree aside, continuing to search for another one. "You seem to be close lately." he absentmindedly states. "What about Taehyung? I thought you're on vacation? Why isn't he home?"

A sigh escapes Jungkook as his features fall, spotting an outstanding Christmas tree, the reason why he walks away to inspect it. "Maybe you should ask him that instead."

Namjoon frowns. "Did you fight?"

After deciding to buy the tree Jungkook is currently holding, he snorts at the question. "I don't think we ever stopped."

"You should talk to him." Namjoon replies with a concerned expression. He follows Jungkook to the handler and watches him pay. "Nothing ever good comes from ignoring the issue."

Jungkook hums and recalls his conversation from a few days ago in the nursery room. "I tried, but it's like he doesn't listen at all. I don't know what's going on with him - he's stuck so far in his head that I can't reach him."

As they are walking back to their car in the parking spot, Namjoon glances at him worriedly. "Did he say something? About what he's mad about?"

"No," Jungkook responds, "And I don't really care about it at the moment. He's being distant and hurts the people around him. Nothing could justify this."

"What if he's too scared to talk to you?" Namjoon adds then, trying to be careful not to overstep a boundary. "Don't get me wrong, Kook. But it's hard to approach you with sensitive questions."

Jungkook glares at him shortly, before loosening his features again. The other isn't wrong about it, he himself has no idea how he's going to react to certain things. Sometimes he's composed and easy to talk to, other times he gets completely furious and escapes the confrontation. He doesn't know what triggers it either.

"If it's about last time in the laboratory, I won't take back what I said to Shorty." Jungkook says firmly, shoving the tree into the backseats and plumping down on the drivers seat. "He deserved to hear it, Jin isn't a baby who can't look after himself. He knows what he's doing."

"And he would never set an ultimatum." Jungkook adds sternly, starting the engine after making sure Namjoon buckles up. "Jin may be a little unaware sometimes, but he's not naive, nor is he stupid and can't make his own decisions."

"That wasn't Yoongis intention." Namjoon explains quietly. "He has seen Jin at his worst, and he's just scared you will hurt him again. You can't blame Yoongi for worrying about someone he cares for."

Jungkook slightly tightens his grip on the wheel. "This is being overprotective, not caring. Why don't you all trust Jin a little more?"

At that, Namjoon would like to ask why Jungkook is suddenly on Jins side despite hating him not even a month back. He claimed he didn't want to be his mate - not even be his roommate. But right now, Jungkook genuinely considers Jins feelings, and it baffles Namjoon just how fast life changes. Nothing ever seems to be constant.

"I don't think I have the right to speak for Yoongi." Namjoon replies then. "I'm not too sure if it's something he'd appreciate. But in my opinion you - as in you and Jin and Tae - deserve to be happy. I hope you find your happiness."