| xvii: highway in the woods |

"Just when you think it can't get any worse, it can

"Just when you think it can't get any worse, it can. And just when you think it can't get any better, it can." ― Nicholas Sparks

" ― Nicholas Sparks

Mumbai, India

We were all seated at the dining table, eating our upma-sambar and talking simultaneously. My mind was completely off track. I couldn't help but ponder upon the cryptic phone call I received last night. I couldn't record it because the whole thing had caught me off guard. I tried to track it, but it led me nowhere. This couldn't be a joke. Who was his next target? Why was he sending messages only to me?

I couldn't let this stay hidden from Vihaan anymore. I was behaving unethically, but I didn't want him to know. He somewhat looked happy and relaxed. Call me anything, but I did not want to take this away from him. I knew I had to tell him sooner; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to control his anger.

"Satan!" Aditya called out, startling me, the spoon from my hand falling on the plate, making a clinking sound.

Nobody paid attention to it, except for Vihaan, who was sitting beside me.

"What happened?" he silently whispered, leaning closer to my ears.

I shivered as his minty breath fell on my nape. A faint blush started appearing on my cheeks which I immediately covered with my hair. Since I was unable to form any words, I shook my head, giving him the answer. Nodding, he went back to eating his food.

"Yes?" Di answered Adi, not clearly impressed by his choice of words.

"Did you make this?" he asked, pointing at the sambar. "I know the upma is made by Shay. It has the same flavour." He threw me a warm smile, which I returned back.

"Yes, I made it," she said, crossing her arms and looking at him pointedly.

"That's the reason why it tastes so bland. That's why you should learn cooking from me. After all, I am the best chef," Adi raised his imaginary collar up and brushed the invisible dust off his shoulders.

Di scoffed. "Best chef, my foot!" she aimed her index finger towards her feet and then pointed it towards him.

"Just because you are pathetic at cooking, you took Shay and Vihaan to the restaurant. And from today onwards, she's here to cook. Isn't it?" He smirked at her.