| lv: cat and mouse |

"Never challenge a woman's rage

"Never challenge a woman's rage. Who knows she might come after you to hunt you down?" — Akanksha Singh Chauhan, His Inconvenient Bride

 Who knows she might come after you to hunt you down?" — Akanksha Singh Chauhan, His Inconvenient Bride

Mumbai, India

I and Vihaan were supposed to leave in two hours and now I was in the kitchen, making egg rolls for breakfast with Anika Di.

Yesterday was my birthday and the day before yesterday was the day when I got to know the truth of my birth. In all that chaos, I never got a chance to speak to her. She too had not spoken to me about that so I was guessing that neither of my parents had spoken to her about it.

Truth to be told, I did not want to speak about it either. But that inner curiosity within me poked me to gather some details about why I was adopted and all the other stuff. Honestly, I wasn't really bothered that I was not blood related to them. Forgetting the past eight years, I had lived a life full of love and happiness.

It wasn't like I was too traumatised or shocked over the fact that I was adopted. I think that I am glad to have a life like this, full of love and happiness.

"Di?" I called her as I chopped onions, "Did you know that I was adopted?" An incessant round of coughs from Di's side who looked flustered all of a sudden. I kept on doing my share of work, waiting for her to get over it.

I ignored the look that she was giving me. "Don't try to lie. I found my adoption papers at Agarwal house," Di blew a breath as she took the support of the kitchen island. She had closed her eyes for a while and she looked down.

I decided to wait while she gave herself time to think and speak. I flipped the egg roll that sizzled on the plan and added some vegetables. I plated the roll neatly when she said, "You were never supposed to know."

I could feel her voice being heavy. Digging out a past that you had forgotten was never easy.

"Lol," I cracked another egg into the pan. Perfect, my mouth slowly formed a smile, looking at my precision in cracking eggs.

"I was eight when you were brought home," she continued. "It was that age where I knew what adoption meant. I remember vividly when you first came home. You were barely weeks old."