| xviii: change |

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

" — Helen Keller

Mumbai, India

One moment the road was there, wide open and safe. The next moment, there were loud noises, acrid smells, and pain that you may or may not recover from. Akanksha's eyes were closed in fear as she was pulled in a tight embrace by Aditya. She was safe. So was Aditya. They slowly released each other and leaned forward to see their other two friends, who looked unconscious. Aditya shook Chirag, who slowly stirred and got up. He seemed to be okay.

Akanksha was horrified at the sight of Pranav. The moment between the loss of balance and then the impending impact was one Pranav would be wincing about for weeks to come, reliving that precious second before the radius bone of his forearm snapped into two and tore right through his skin, glinting white in the descending sun. The pain had almost brought him to the point of blacking out. Perhaps it would have been easier on him if it had. Blood trickled from his forehead down his cheeks, which brought Akanksha out of the shock.

She carefully got herself out of the car, and so did the other two. She quickly opened the door to Pranav's side and safely pulled him out, who was now groaning in agony.

"What happened?" Chirag gasped at the sight of Pranav.

"He has an open fracture and a mild concussion. We need to take him to the hospital," she said, checking his pulse. "His pulse is low."

The officer, who was in charge of Akanksha's security, ran towards them, helping her to get Pranav inside his car. She sat beside Pranav on the back seat, and Chirag joined them, sitting on his other side. Aditya sat in the front. The car started, and soon they were on their way to the hospital.

"Will he be okay?" Aditya slowly asked as he looked at her through the rearview mirror.

She smiled at him reassuringly. "He will be. Just a little surgery to fix his hand."

Suddenly out of nowhere, Akanksha felt dizzy. Pain shot up her arms, and she saw drops of blood on her hoodie. She slightly turned her arm and noticed a big glass piece tearing through the fabric of her hoodie, slicing deep into her skin. The wound was bleeding profusely. All the adrenaline was gone, and now she clutched her arm, groaning in pain, bringing everyone's attention to her.