| vi: discussion |

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." ― Dr Seuss

Jaipur, India

Jaipur, India

The morning was chaotic. Way too chaotic. There were people running around, Uncles were shouting orders at the workers, the Aunties were fretting over the rituals, and the rest of the youngsters had already started their dance practices for the Sangeet function.

I, as usual, was sitting in the hall, looking over the final decorations and making a list of items that were required for the Puja.

Ganeshji's idol was scheduled to arrive in the evening. The next day was the Puja. There was a lot of stress, yet there was excitement. These were the perks of attending a wedding. There was happiness amidst the chaos.

All these preparations and running here and there reminded me of the time when I had gotten married. I did not have any functions of this sort. Like any other girl, I, too, had dreams. Simple dreams. I also wanted to have all the 'taam-jhaam', Sangeet, Mehendi, Haldi, and whatnot.

But the bitter truth was standing in front of me. My wedding wasn't a normal one. It was not a compromise but a sacrifice. Every girl wishes to enjoy these rituals and have those pre-wedding jitters. She enjoys being the centre of attraction. She wishes to have those subtle moments with her husband-to-be. I had none. There was no love or affection in our marriage. Love and affection were still far-fetched things. We didn't have any mutual respect between us. It was like a pair of two misfits bonded legally. It was an inconvenient attachment, like Vihaan had said on our wedding night.

Marriage isn't just about taking rounds around the holy fire or signing a paper. It is not something to be endured but savoured. It is the union of two hearts beating as one, each that would sacrifice for the other's happiness and well-being. Marriage is something so beautiful that in the natural world, it would be an opening rose, always with radiant petals left to unfurl to a warm sun. Perhaps that is why we give roses to those we love and often have them at our sacred unions. Marriage is the blessing we give to one another, an eternal bond of soulmates. I knew we weren't soulmates. But we were forced to be one.