XXXVIII.

Alexander comes behind me, leaning against the wall and crossing his arms

Alexander comes behind me, leaning against the wall and crossing his arms. "Why are you really here?" he asks Lena with a tone that doesn't hide he doesn't trust her.

Lena clasps her hands together in front of her stomach. "I just came here to talk and ... apologise," she says.

I look at Alexander over my shoulder, but he's giving her that scary, eye-narrowed look that just says she better not play with him because he's not afraid to attack. Figuratively, of course.

"I don't think I'm ready to listen to anything you have to say," I tell her. I actually have a hard time looking her in the eyes because she's been deliberately trying to put me through hell and I can't trust her. I think she's hiding something and she has an ulterior motive for coming here.

But she also makes me curious as to what she wants to tell us. She obviously came by for a reason. I look at Alexander again, but he's still giving her a relentless look. Lena's eyes move from Alexander to me until they decide to stay on me.

"I promise I'm not here to cause any trouble for any of us," she says.

I wonder what prompted the change of her heart? Why the sudden twist in her act towards us? Well, me mostly. She's always been fond of my boyfriend. My shoulders drop and I sigh. "Fine. Come in," I decide. If not for something else, I want to hear what she has to say because I'll admit I'm curious.

Alexander just give me a look, but lets her come inside, not moving away from me. We sit on the couch in the living room and I don't even bother offering her anything to drink because I'm still mad at her for what she did to me. She's drenched from the rain and she must be cold, as well.

Alexander remains standing and leans against the wall, crossing his foot at the ankle. Lady Macbeth is there immediately. She sits down at his feet and Alexander looks at her with a scowl. They get into one of their stare-downs again and Lady Macbeth decides to mess with him a little more by walking around his feet with her tail up high and meowing, looking at him with big eyes.

Alexander gives me a defeated look. Lena is looking at them both with interest and a little curiosity. "I didn't know you two had a cat," she comments, looking at Lady Macbeth and pursing her lips.

"It's a recent addition to our home," I say, crossing my legs and interlacing my hands. I wait for her to begin telling us why she decided to pay Alexander and I a visit today.

She sighs, sitting up straighter. "Okay. First of all, I think I owe you an apology."

Alexander snickers and I just shoot him a look. Lady Macbeth is still trying to befriend him by rubbing against his ankles. Alexander doesn't try to move away from her or even shoo her away, so that's a progress, as well.

"I've already told Rosalyn the truth about what happened. Well, not the whole truth because I left Sam out of it, but she knows it wasn't your fault."