XI.

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed. I sit up and frown. My frown deepens when I see how early it is. It's not Alexander's habit to wake up before me.

I get out of bed and go to the bathroom to get ready. I put my hair up in a messy bun and wear one of my favourite sweaters that Rosalyn gifted me for my birthday.

I hear voices when I get downstairs. When I come to the kitchen entrance, wearing a smile, I stop at the doorway because Lena and Alexander are the only ones in here. Talking. I don't know what makes me stop. Alexander's harsh tone, perhaps.

"And why is that?" Lena asks, completely oblivious that I'm here. I don't know what they're talking about and I don't want to eavesdrop, either, so I make my presence known by walking into the kitchen, but Alexander cuts in before I could say good morning to both of them.

"Stop asking me goddamn questions that are none of your goddamn business!"

I stop and look at Alexander with wide eyes. Oh, he's in a really bad mood. Lena visibly retreats and Alexander slams his fist on the counter before just walking away, ignoring me completely.

"Ah, yes. The mornings with Sin," I hear Sam say behind me. I'm still too shocked to react in any kind of way. What just happened?

"You have to live with that every day?" Lena asks me with obvious disgust.

"Why do you care? She lives with it, not you."

"He's not like that with me," I murmur. He's not like that to just anyone without a reason either. Not anymore, at least. So I'm pretty sure Lena had to say something that made him like explode like this.

Lena snickers. "What? You won't go after him to calm him down?" She turns to the counter to continue preparing her breakfast.

I look at Sam, willing her to not say anything. I feel like Lena is doing this on purpose to provoke me or him or just all of us.

"This bitch is really getting my last nerve right now," Sam says to me and I feel like she turns and talks to me rather than saying or doing something that wouldn't end well.

"Sam," I say as a warning, not wanting her to pick a fight because of me.

She turns to Lena, anyway. "If you won't shut your mouth, you'll be the one that'll need calming down when I'm done with you. Bitch."

Lena smartly doesn't say anything back. She grabs her breakfast and she walks out of the kitchen.

"Can we send her back? This is unreal," Sam mutters, going to the coffee machine.

"I'll go look for Alexander," I say, already wishing I wouldn't get out of bed. At all.

The first place I look is his room, but he's not there. The rooftop is empty, too. That's when I start to get worried. His room and the rooftop are his places to go to.