L.

Alexander takes me to Sam's place

Alexander takes me to Sam's place. I didn't tell him what happened, just that it's urgent I go there and he insisted on taking me because he's not letting me go by myself at night.

When I get there, Sam opens the door all hysterical, looking like she's completely losing it. I don't even get a chance to get inside when she opens her mouth, "Thank you so much for coming here, Gabby. I didn't know who else to call. I'm freaking the fuck out, I took five goddamned tests and –" she stops immediately.

Alexander walked up behind me because I feel him standing there and he doesn't know what's going on. I look behind my shoulder at him and then give Sam an apologetic look. "He insisted on driving me. I didn't tell him anything."

"Tell me what? What's going on, Sam?" Alexander asks, walking past us into her flat, looking around. Ace, Sam's dog, immediately comes running to him and sniffing him. Alexander stops, looking down at him, standing completely still. I hold my breath.

Ace got bigger since I last saw him. He's growing like a mushroom. "He can go if you prefer that," I offer to Sam.

Alexander gives me a look over his shoulder. I shrug in his direction. Sam looks over her shoulder, too in shock to process it for a few seconds. "I want to talk to you alone. He's a man. He's not going to understand."

"I can still hear you, you know," Alexander says. He walks towards us and Ace follows him, his tail wiggling.

"Good. Thanks for driving Gabby here now, but you can go now. I can take her back."

Alexander crosses his arms over the chest, staring down at Sam. It's a funny sight because he's taller than her, but Sam can be scary when she wants to, although standing next to Alexander who's looking all badass at all times without even needing to try ... It's a funny sight. "What's going on?" he asks, ignoring her.

Sam tilts her head to the side. "Should you even be walking around?" Her eyes go to the shoulder he got shot at.

"No," I say at the same time Alexander says, "Yes."

We look at each other and my eyes narrow.

"I'm not going anywhere," Alexander says adamantly.

Sam grits her teeth together in frustration, her hand gripping the door so tightly I fear she's going to slam it right in Alexander's face. I decide to intervene. I put my hand on Alexander's shoulder, slightly pushing him back. "Please, just leave. Sam needs a friend to talk to right now, okay? Don't be difficult," I say with a hushed, quiet voice, breaking him down.

His jaw ticks in annoyance and he refuses to let his arms drop, still holding his ground by giving me a serious look. I don't back down, either. This is not about me or about us, this about Sam. She was there every time I needed her and she needs me now. I'm not disappointing her.

"Fine," Alex grits out. He looks at Sam. "But, just so you know, I really don't like you calling my girl in the evening and cutting our time short. I'm doing you a big favour here, Sam."