6.

Song Recommendation: Blueberry Pop by Deal Casino
-

"Your Valedictorian, Ophelia Jane Evangeline Carter the Second." They called my name over the speaker.

I took a deep breath and stood up, making sure the burgundy coloured gown was smoothed out. I struggled my way out into the middle aisle of the theatre hall. I walked up the stairs to the stage, making sure to hold up my gown so I didn't trip on the way up.

I glided across the stage to the lectern where I then stood to face my entire high school graduating class. There were only seventy two of us, since I went to a private school. The classes were small and intimate, yet I still managed to make zero connections.

They stared back at me with their judgmental eyes. I'd never been one to fool around much, I was always working on something, which is how I managed to steal the spot of Valedictorian from the class President, Tori Jax, (which sounds like a porn star name by the way). Sure she was involved in every single club the school had to offer, but she also did tequila shots in the gym changeroom, so I felt like I had to use my 4.2 GPA to my advantage.

I felt adrenaline racing through my veins. My toes curled in my high heeled shoes, and my fingernails dug into the palm of my left hand as I straightened out the papers to my speech. I searched the crowd, scanning back and forth through the aisles until I spotted an eccentric turquoise neck scarf, and shiny silver hair weaved into a braid.

Gran.

I let go of the tightness in my chest and cleared my throat quickly.

"Hello, my name is Ophelia Carter the Second." I spoke out into the mic. "I've been a student at Richmond Prep since sixth grade, and I'm saddened to know that I cannot say that after today." That was a lie, I couldn't wait to get out of that hell hole. "Richmond prep helped me realize what I want to do with my life, and prepared me to achieve my goals in the real world. On behalf of the student body, I'd like to thank our principals, our teachers, and any other staff that made this experience the best years of our lives." I smiled. "Personally though, I'd like to thank my Grandmother, Ophelia Carter the first. She's inspired me to achieve my dreams. I will be attending Bushnell University in Eugene Oregon, majoring in criminology. After I graduate I intend to go through the Police Academy in the NYPD. I owe all of this to my Grandma, and I'm excited to see where this journey takes me." I stood proudly. "Thank you."

The crowd cheered half-heartedly. I knew nobody cared about the Valedictorian speech. Everyone just wanted to get wasted at the grad party. I didn't care though. I caught Gran's eye and she cheered for me from her spot amongst the other parents.

She was there, and that was all that mattered.

-

"Mornin' Carter." Horan said as I dropped my bag under my desk.

"Not today." I shook my head.

"Oh she's in a bad mood." He muttered. "Don't worry guys Carter is still acting normal! The praise hasn't gone to her head!" He announced to the rest of the precinct.

"I can't do this right now." I plopped my head down into my hands.

"What's wrong?" He typed on his keyboard simultaneously.

"I had the shittiest sleep." I admitted. "That trip screwed up my schedule completely."

"You have a sleep schedule?" He laughed in disbelief. "What are you, six years old? Wait no, never mind I'm not even surprised! This is totally something you'd do."

"If you could just refrain from speaking at all today, it would benefit both you and I." I rubbed my eyes.

"How would that benefit me?" He raised an eyebrow.