41.

Song recommendation: Leaves by Joe P
-

The days we're getting shorter and so was my patience.

Autumn was approaching. The nights were getting colder and the leaves were beginning to change from a vivid tree-frog green, to the colour of that one crayon that wasn't quite green and not quite yellow. That was always my least favourite one. There was no use for a yellow green. Use one or the other. Make a choice people.

Niall's twenty-eighth birthday was just around the corner and I had no idea what to do for him. Instead of fussing over it, I decided to make my life easy and just ask him.

"Hey bud," I brought up one day while we were out for lunch.

"What's up?" He looked up from his pasta dish.

"It's your birthday soon hey?"

"Yeah." He sighed and leaned back, moving away from his food. He was going to turn this into a whole conversation. Great.

"What do you want to do for it? I mean, it's your first birthday with us being... together. Should we make it special or something?" I suggested. "I don't know, I was just thinking about it and I thought I'd ask. Or if you wanted anything specific as a gift or... you know I just thought that if I'm your girlfriend now, I should probably-"

"Don't worry about it." He stopped me in the middle of my rambling. "I wasn't planning on celebrating."

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows in concern.

"You even said so yourself, you don't like celebrating your birthday either." He reminded me.

"Yeah but that was before I had someone in my life to celebrate with."

"I've always had people to celebrate with." He shook his head.

"Yeah thanks for adding that in." I deadpanned.

Let's bring up my massive family while I'm with my orphaned girlfriend!

What a man!

"I just don't like birthdays. I don't like being reminded that I'm getting older and I still haven't settled down." He shrugged.

Still haven't settled down?

I get it, I wasn't his wife or anything, but I'd kinda thought we were in this seriously. I hoped that I at least meant a little bit more to him than what he was letting on.

"Okay then." I sighed, leaning on the table. "We'll just treat it like any other day?"

"Please." He nodded.

"Fine."

Was I upset? No, not really. I hadn't celebrated my birthday since I turned twenty one. However, I was sort of confused by Niall's suddenly cold behaviour. I didn't know if maybe he wasn't feeling well, or maybe he was just tired. There's no way to tell for sure unless it came out of his mouth directly.

His mood didn't change much throughout the day. I decided that I should just give him space. He obviously had something on his mind and didn't want to talk about it. If he wanted to, he would. He knew he could trust me.

I took a walk around the mansion to give him some time alone.

I've seen Brielle and Felicity around the house quite often. They were always together, always busy doing something. Felicity seemed to be attached to Brielle at the hip, I'd seen them colouring in the living room, outside playing hopscotch, and making cookies in the kitchen. It made me happy to see that Felicity was trying to give Brielle a somewhat normal childhood. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to grow up in a mafia house.