11.

Song recommendation: The Man by Taylor Swift.

-

"You spend years and years working on yourself. Please try and learn how to love."
-

"I hope you all had a happy holiday season and new year." Lieutenant Payne said at briefing.

"But now that the holidays are over, we're getting back to business as usual." Sergeant Malik added. "As you all know, crime doesn't stop for the season. We've got cases for you all."

I hadn't told anyone else on the squad about the case. I didn't want anyone else getting involved just in case it turned out to involve my family like I thought. I needed Horan to help me though. He's the only one that was intelligent enough to handle the case.

"Detective Horan you have a case of first degree arson. Who would you like to work with?" Payne read off of his sheet.

"Carter." Horan replied almost immediately.

"What?" I snapped my head over to him.

"Are you sure?" Malik squinted at him.

"Yeah I'm sure." He assured them.

"Don't kill him." Payne pointed to me.

"No promises." I shrugged. Malik shot me a look. "I won't kill him." I shook my head.

After briefing we made our way to our desks as we always did.

"You two are banging. I knew it." Styles sat up on my desk.

"What?" I said with wide eyes. "We are not!"

"Can you confirm?" He looked over to Horan.

"I can confirm we are not." He said as he slipped on his coat. Finally something rational came out of his mouth. "Don't think that'll ever be a thing." He laughed.

"Never say never." Styles wiggled his eyebrows.

"I didn't say never." Horan stated. "But I'm gonna say it now. Never."

"Are you insulted by this?" Styles turned back to me.

"Not at all." I shook my head. "Why would I be?"

"He doesn't think you're attractive enough to sleep with-"

"I never said that!" Horan defended frantically.

"So you think she's hot?" Styles stirred the pot.

"No! Wait- uh I don't know! Stop it!" He freaked out.

"I'm just messing with you guys." Styles let out a laugh. "You guys could be fucking in the interrogation room and I couldn't care less." He shrugged and walked away.

"Never!" I called after him. "Never." I pointed to Horan in a quieter tone.

"Agreed." He nodded. "Not happening."

"Alright, I'll go grab some stuff from the supply room and I'll meet you outside." I informed him.

"Sounds good to me." He gave a nod and spun his car keys around his fingers.

I walked over to the supply room with my bag in hand and my coat hanging over my shoulder. When I opened the door my jaw dropped to the floor. I saw Detective Tomlinson leaned back on a desk and Zara, with her tongue down his throat!

"Oh my god!" I panicked.

"Philly!" Zara jumped back from Tomlinson.

"Are you kidding me?" Tomlinson groaned.