40.

Song recommendation: La Vie en Rose by Louis Armstrong
-

The room spun around me. I felt drunk. My eyes couldn't focus on anything in the room, but based on the colours I recognized it as my apartment kitchen. I felt like I was off balance, I was side stepping and stumbling through the room, but no matter how much my legs moved, no matter how far I tried to run, it was like the kitchen stretched further. I would never make it to the other side.

It wasn't my kitchen though. The floors were gravel, and it was dark. Not dark as if I had the lights turned off, dark like I was underneath the night sky, but I was still in a kitchen. My stove was right to the left of me...

Where did it go?

I thought I saw my stove out of my peripheral vision. I still did, but every time I tried to look at it, it would disappear. It was frustrating. I was stumbling in place. Why wouldn't I just fall? I needed to fall! My balance wasn't holding up!

The gravel dug into my feet. I hated the feeling of chalky feet. It scratched against the skin. I tried to look down but I didn't see my feet. I could only feel them. I didn't have hands either. I made the motion of moving my hands in front of my face, but they just weren't there.

It cut to black.

Time had passed.

At the same time, it was the blink of an eye.

Except I didn't blink.

I didn't know where I was. There was no background. There was no scenery. I just existed.

A bottle of absinthe appeared. I remembered the black liquorice taste of the alcohol. I quite liked black liquorice. I used to eat it a lot as a kid.

No I didn't?

I walked to the bottle. As I walked, the bottle got bigger. Every step I took made the bottle increase in height. I kept walking, the bottle kept getting bigger. I was getting frustrated. I ran. The bottle grew faster.  It was at least as tall as my apartment building now. I looked up at the massive green bottle with a foggy feeling in my head.

Suddenly I heard a hissing sound. Not like a cat, not like a firecracker. Like a snake. I watched in horror as the black python on the label of the gigantic bottle started moving, like it was waking up. It wiggled a bit, showing off its iridescent black scales. It slithered around, moving out of the label and creeping towards me slowly. Maybe it was friendly.

All I heard were the faint, low hisses coming from the gargantuan snake. It approached me kindly. Rubbing its head against my legs like a cat. Almost purring to me. What a sweetheart.

The snake began to curl around my legs, crawling up my torso. It was protecting me in a tight grip. Thank you Absinthe snake. It engulfed my body, squeezing it so that nothing from the outside could hurt me.

The snake unhinged its jaw, and sunk its massive fangs into my throat.

Thank you Absinthe snake.

More time passed, yet none at all.

"Ophelia!"

I looked around me, I was in the precinct. I was standing by my desk. The precinct was dark, and empty. There was a light shining on Niall's desk. It was a cool wash of light. Normally Niall's lamp had a warm bulb.

"Philly!"

Who was calling me? I walked around the entire bullpen. There was nobody in sight.

A computer screen flashed like a strike of lightning. I snapped my head over to where I saw the light. It was gone. Then there was another flash, and another, and another, until every computer in the bullpen was flashing with white light. I didn't see any screens light up though. It was overwhelming. I saw the light, but I could never actually catch the screen changing colour.