7.

Song recommendation: You Worry Me by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

When you wake up in your college dorm room, you're usually not expecting your Grandmother at the door. Especially if you've been at college for two years already.

"Ophelia! Open up sweetheart!" The knocking on the door was louder than the pounding in my head.

I rolled out of my bed, nearly falling over. It was a Saturday morning, and like any other normal twenty year old, I was hungover as fuck. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I trudged to the door and opened it reluctantly.

"Hi Gran." I said in my morning voice that made me sound like I smoked seventeen packs a day.

"Hello my sweet pea." She gave me the warmest smile, and the tightest hug. "How are you?"

"A little tired." I admitted.

"You smell like tequila." She laughed softly. "I can get you in trouble for that."

"You're not a cop anymore Gran you can't get me in trouble for anything." I walked over to my dresser and grabbed a hair tie. I threw my hair up into a quick bun.

"I'm not an officer anymore, but you will be soon." She said excitedly.

"I still have a few years before that happens." I sat down on my bed. "One more year of criminology, then two more years of investigation and forensics."

"You'll fly past that." She waved a hand in dismissal.

"Then I'll get myself in trouble." I laughed. "Why did you stop by? Did you need something?"

"I just missed you." She smiled.

"You call me every night." I squinted at her. "What's going on?"

She looked at me for a moment, then let out a breath. She gave in.

"I'm trying to keep away from the station." She looked to the floor, avoiding my gaze.

"Gran, you're in your seventies! You can't be doing this anymore!" I scolded.

"I know honey." She shook her head. "I just can't stay away. I've got nothing to do anymore with you gone."

"Well you're going to visit me as many times as you can." I instructed. "And when I can, I'll come back home and I'll keep you distracted."

"Thank you Philly."

"Anything for you Gran."

-

I couldn't believe that I lived in this shithole of an apartment. As I got home from work, I saw a dead mouse in the stairwell. A dead fucking mouse. There's no way that this place is up to health code standards. I wondered if I had any power over it as a law enforcer. Doug would probably evict me if I said anything though.

I walked into my busted up place. My kitchen cabinets were taped up, my air conditioner was shot, and half of the outlets didn't actually do anything. I hated it, but it was all that I could afford at the moment. I hadn't been working long enough at the precinct to be making any big bucks. I threw my bag on the kitchen table. I was just about to make myself dinner when my phone started buzzing loudly on the counter. I picked it up and groaned as I saw who the contact was.

"Detective Carter?" Lieutenant Payne said over the phone.

"Hi, what's going on?" I said on speaker phone as I washed my hands.