69.

Song recommendation: Arsonist's Lullaby by Hozier
-

I've been home for two weeks. Things have gotten easier, I haven't been crying as much anymore. I've been able to go out in public without getting scared. I finally finished my grocery shopping. Niall's fridge wasn't fully stocked, but I was only feeding myself, so I didn't need a full fridge. I had only bought what I knew I would eat, and that was enough for me. Niall's Mother stuck around more than she would have otherwise. She told me that she visited this often while Niall was gone, but I didn't believe her.

"So what has Styles picked up from the Roach's?" I asked Niall as I sat in his home office, staring at the computer screen that displayed everything he could see, which was a bench out in the McBride gardens. "Also, I hope you have a jacket on. No more getting sick."

"I'm warm." He sighed like an exasperated teenager. "But H says things are sparse with the Roach's. Isaac is the only one who's really into the business you know? Like Rupert and Henri couldn't care less, Dani's... well she's Dani, and... Lucille."

He hated talking about her. I felt terrible.

"She hasn't been around much, which I guess I'm sort of grateful for, but then again we have no idea what she's been up to, so I might just have to suck it up and-"

"No." I stopped him. "You aren't sucking up to anything. Harry's job is to watch that family. What else do you know?"

"Well... Julian's been quiet."

"He's never been quiet."

"Which is terrifying to me." Niall agreed. "So I'm assuming he's planning something bigger than normal, and even what we've considered normal is equivalent to a lifetime in jail."

"Oh boy." I rubbed my jaw, trying to take in all the information Niall was throwing at me. "I just want you-"

"To be careful. Yes, I know. You've told me that every day since you've been gone." He laughed.

"And I'll keep saying it." I assured him. "Are you going on any trips anytime soon? For Julian I mean."

"Not as of right now, but he's been giving me these weird looks any time I'm around him. It's like he's trying to size me up or something. He's probably still mad at me for cursing him out after the crash."

"I wouldn't be surprised." I leaned back in the leather office chair, chewing on the inside of my cheek. "If you have to leave, I'll be with you the whole time. Don't be afraid to get information. I want you alive, but I'd also like to storm this as soon as possible, so I think we should speed this up."

"I can do that." He told me, masking the nervousness in his voice.

"Perfect." I wrote down that we were picking up speed in my notes that I would bring to Payne during briefing tomorrow. "How's..." I was nervous to ask about the McBride's.

"Brielle?" Niall suggested.

"You read my mind." I muttered.

"She's fine. Her birthday is next week. The kid is turning six."

"Six?!" I cried in disbelief. "And I'm going to miss it!"

"Philly you can't..."

You can't get attached.

"I know." I said sadly, my shoulders slumping at the realization of what I was doing. "But she's my niece."

"She is, but she doesn't know that, and neither does anyone else. That's exactly why you went home. I don't want you to be upset if..." He trailed off.