53.

Song recommendation: Mess is Mine by Vance Joy
-

Josephine had stayed longer than I'd expected her to. After her first initial cry, she'd composed herself faster than I'd done if I were in her situation. Eric broke up with me when I was twenty two also. It was a tough time for me, being away at college while also dating a boy who I kind of knew wasn't going to be my endgame. It was hard, but it was nowhere near as difficult as what Jo was experiencing.

She stayed silent for a long time. We sat on my bed for hours, watching chick flicks and breakup movies. It was nice to just be a girl for once. I didn't often indulge in the frivolous activities of being a girl in her early twenties. I was busy shutting down mafia organizations and trying not to die from blood loss. You know, just girly things.

Niall was lurking around the wing. I think he was too uncomfortable to come into the bedroom. After he'd brought back the ice cream, which was delicious by the way, even if mine was vegan, he'd darted straight to the main wing. He was so in tune with my emotions that I forgot how he was still just a young guy who was terrible with girls. He was only good with me because we'd bonded over trauma. I guess Tomlinson was right. It does work.

He'd pop his head through the door every half an hour or so, just to make sure I wasn't dying, and that Jo wasn't giving me lethal doses of morphine. He seemed so nervous and awkward. The looming boyfriend who didn't want to intrude on girl time. Was Niall my third wheel? Regardless, I found it amusing how respectful he was to the both of us. He'd come a long way since assuming that my detective's position would be filled by a man.

"I think I'm going to head out." Jo blurted after we'd finished watching 'Bridget Jones' Diary'. Best movie ever by the way.

"Why? Is something wrong?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No. I mean, nothing other than the fact that I have no idea what's going to happen to my life after tonight." She laughed nervously. The shake in her voice gave away how scared she really was.

"Jo you can stay here." I told her, grabbing her trembling hand for comfort. "I don't mind. Nate can sleep on the couch. It's no big deal."

"I have to go." She shook her head, pulling her hand away faster than I was ready for. "I can't keep relying on other people to bring me comfort. If I'm alone now, I have to get used to being alone."

"You're not-"

"I am." She gave me a sad look, she wasn't asking for comfort, she wasn't looking for pity. She knew what was going to happen to her, and no amount of rom-coms could fix that. "I've never truly belonged in my family." She stood from the bed, pulling herself together." I've never truly belonged in this whole business bullshit. I don't want this, I don't want this life. I don't like to hurt people, but I love my family. I loved Keely. Now I don't have him, and I won't have my family either once I tell them. I've got to figure it out on my own."

"Josephine-"

"You've been lovely to me, Nate's been lovely too, but you work for my uncle. You're expecting me to be like him, and I can't do that for you. I'm sorry."

"No." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I can't be like you. I can't do what you do." She walked to the door. "Thank you for everything." She gave a half hearted smile before leaving through the bedroom door.

"Josephine!" I called after her, but I couldn't do anything about it. I was bedridden.

"Hey where are you going?" I heard Niall say to her.

"I have absolutely no idea!" She let out a laugh of disbelief before opening the front door of the wing. "Please don't follow me. I'll be back. Don't worry."