79.

Song recommendation: Saturn by Sleeping at Last
-

I've been sitting here for seven hours now. The evening had faded into the deep dark coldness of midnight. It was Christmas Day. I wasn't expecting Santa, nor his eight tiny reindeer. I just needed a miracle.

I'd been taken away from the McBride Mansion shortly after Niall had been shipped off to the hospital. He was unconscious when they'd taken him off on the stretcher. I screamed at the paramedics.

"I'm his primary officer!" I followed the paramedic holding onto the backside of the stretcher. "I need to know if he'll be alright! I need to know! I demand it!"

"No, sweetheart, you need to get to safety." He looked back at me momentarily as the others opened the doors of the ambulance.

"You have to tell me if he'll live!" I ran in my bare feet, holding up my blood stained dress.

"Miss, I don't know the answer." He loaded Niall into the vehicle and slammed the door shut, ending the conversation.

I stood there stupidly, like a lost puppy, my world spinning around me. I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and a forehead lean against my temple. I smelled the sweet scent of vanilla and wood. I warmed into the figure, knowing he needed the comfort as much as I did.

"Harry I'm-"

"Shh." He shook his head. "It's too soon to talk."

It was cold that day. I was sure my feet were frostbitten. I didn't know where to go, neither did Harry. We were always the ones in charge, and usually there was always someone there to comfort us, and we may have just lost him. For real this time.

Malik and Payne met us in front of the mansion where Styles and I were sitting on the front steps. We had clung together after the incident, we couldn't leave each others' side. For all we knew, we were all that each other had left of Niall. We couldn't lose anyone else.

"He's made it to the hospital." Malik informed us. "And everyone from the church has been accounted for and put in holding at the precinct. It's all over. Congratulations Detective, you've done it."

I've done it.

But Niall might be dead.

"Thank you sir." I said simply, staring down at the snowy ground.

"I thought..." Payne got my attention. "I brought some blankets, I thought you'd be cold." He placed a fleece blanket on my lap, and passed another to Harry.

"Thank you." Harry nodded to him.

"Would you like to go back to the precinct?" Malik offered.

"I will." Harry accepted. "I guess I could use a distraction." He stood, brushing off his suit. "Carter?" He looked down at me, but my eyes were still glued to the ground.

"I need to go to the hospital." I muttered.

"I don't think that's the best idea detective-"

"I need to go to the hospital." I repeated more firmly. "I need to be there when he wakes up."

If he wakes up.

"I'll take her." Malik told the others.

That brings us here, to where I've been sitting for hours upon hours in a cold, dark, dry, waiting room. It smelled of sterilised medical supplies and sanitizer. The fluorescent lights were dimmed due to the hour of the night, and the room was completely empty. It was Christmas Day after all. Most people were sleeping, waiting for the wonderful day to come, not worrying if the only person who truly matters to them is alive or not.