Chapter 19 - The Loot

The lake looked beautiful, a rainbow of grays and whites not to mention the sky! Forget me not blue without a cloud in sight. The only sign of there being any bad weather would be the flood of clothing strewn out across the field to dr,y and the assortment of ponds that had appeared overnight.

I could just make out my friends from where I rested, dancing about in the shallows of the glistening pool. Plus, it was hard to miss Eve with her flare of ginger hair and pale skin. It reminded me of the time we spent in the spring not so long ago. I only wish I could of joined them today, but Doc's orders. And so I was left to perch on my boulder situated along the shoreline. The events of this morning, still giving me goose bumps, running on repeat in my mind's eye. I closed my eyes reminiscing, letting the light wind style my unkempt hair while I rubbed the sleep from my face. I needed a shave.

Opening my eyes I sat up strait, noticing the group making their way up towards me wet and out of breath, laughing at something James must of said. Lydia and Elliot where arm in arm but that was no surprise. It was strange thinking that only four days ago I didn't even know who these people were and now they were practically family. I chuckled to myself, hopping off of my nest to join them half way.

"...and I told him, 'If you keep doing that I'm going to have throw you out' and he was like 'Do it,' and so I did!"

I didn't know if they were generally laughing at James story, or just laughing at his mimic of the 'said guy'. I never got the chance to ask. I was swiftly stolen away by a damp Ginger who's smile had not dampened in the slightest. Sophie was hot on her heals giving me one of those 'she told me everything' looks. "So how was the water?"

"Undeniably cold!" Complained Sophie.

"Wasn't that bad, though a lot cooler then the spring we visited," Eve answered, slipping her hand into mine subconsciously. "Wish you could of come down with us!"

"I bet you do," Sophie teased. "And when would we of had the time for our gossip sesh?"

"I don't even want to know what you two talk about. Anyway you both ready for today?"

"First time seeing everything for how it really is..."

"It's gonna be weird, after everything we've been told and there's those...things."

I could tell they were both thinking about the events of two days ago, the last thing we needed was a repeat of that. We'd found out the other day that we had had almost lost the entirety of Group D and a fair few others. "Hay they wouldn't send us on a suicide mission, plus they need us to bring back food."

"Doesn't make it safe, you've seen what can happen."

"We shall see," I finished, giving Eves hand a reassuring squeeze. Looking around you could tell everyone was on edge. Almost a false happiness.

*

The hour leading up to 8 'o' clock went by slowly with a brooding silence. Even James went quite and he always had a joke or two up his sleeve. In the end we'd all resorted to are usual positions, nibbling on hard biscuits and pretending to relax. We were fooling nobody. Eventually the time came and we all picked up our bags and made our way out, fidgeting with the straps.

Officer Davies was waiting for us at the usual point with several other groups, lined up ready. It wasn't until the last group finally arrived that he spoke.

"Now I know what you all must be thinking, and I've been there. I've been in war zones, I've stood next to friend who were there one minute and gone the next. I know how it feels to loose men, woman...friends. I know what it's like stepping out into a world where you might not come back from. And it changes you. I wouldn't be who am I today if it wasn't for the things I've done, the things I've seen. The good news is those things don't have guns, but their fast. I want you to be scared, I want you to be afraid... because that's whats going to keep you alive that what's going to bring you home. Trust each other and trust your instinct. Good luck and God speed... MOVE OUT!"