Chapter 54 - A Dance With The Devils Daughter

"Ma'am..." the solider announced, waited for acknowledgement before continuing.

The woman in question continued to apply deep red lipstick, her eyes unwavering from her pale reflection. "Report," she answered in her London accent, taking care not to smudge her makeup.

Hesitantly the man obeyed, "the test results came back positive, there's no mistake."
She raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow, adding the final details to her lips before pocketing the stick. Finally she turned to her messenger, his eyes looking anywhere but at her. "Interesting, and where is she now?"

"I..." he stuttered. "Don't know."

"Then you better go find out," she finished, her cold smile commanding him to leave.

*

Checking out of field 7's security gate, I got a couple of funny looks from the guards, glancing at the guitar then back at me. Lucky for me they didn't say anything, for some reason items like this were contraband, but with my new found ability they would be a little lenient. Besides, how was I gonna kill someone with a guitar, don't tempt me. I grimiest, the sulking voice of my inner demon radiating threw me, I had nearly killed a child because of it. I massaged my temple attempting to alleviate the head ache it had caused, life was such a battle!

Practicing a smile, I sifted my way threw the muddy slums, working my way threw the darkness to get to my 'tent'. Seth's spotted me first, his face lighting up. I felt sorry for him, I was a broken shadow of who I used to be and yet he put up with me.

"What's with the guitar?" James asked.

"Lydia plays, am I right?" I'd over heard her telling Elliot the other day.

She look up inquisitively, hearing her name.

I offered her the guitar, "we could all do with a cheer up, look at you all!"

She hesitantly took it, giving the strings a quick strum. Everyone of our group had come out at this point wondering what the noise was.

"Our we even aloud?" She asked.

I shrugged."Who cares, their not going to shoot you for playing."

She thought for a moment before picking out an upbeat tune. "Fine!"

We all cheered, the music already stealing away our worries.

"Seth, may I have this dance." I asked with a mock bow, a smile playing on my lips. My own smile, not the 'Devils daughters'.

He jumped to his feet and curtsied. "Why thank you kind sir."

I giggled, his hand entwining with mine, the other resting on my hip. With out another word he whisked me away into a dream world, a world where it was just the two of use and the music. No infected, no mental war, no death... I was lost in his blue eyes, his half smile teasing me. His lips moved saying something, but what ever it was it went threw one ear and out the other.

"Eve?"

I shook myself out of the trance. "Sorry."

"Your shaking," he whispered.

"I'm just cold," I lied, allowing him to wrap me in his arms, my head finding his chest. I could see the others dancing around use, the twins spinning around like children.

"Ooo I know this one!" Squealed Sophie. "Start again and I'll sing it!"

We all stopped and watched in ore as Sophie shimmied over to Lydia, the introduction playing once again.

"Underneath the stars I'll meet you
Underneath the stars I'll greet you
There beneath the stars I'll leave you
Before you go of your own free will..."

She sang on, her voice radiating threw the camp. I could see people form other tents come and listen, even a few guards. It was beautiful. When the song finally finished there was a moment of silence before everyone broke into applause, both Sophie and Lydia blushing fiercely at the crowd that had gathered. After they curtsied, the guards started to dismiss everyone, it was nearly curfew.

"I never knew you could sing!" I exclaimed, rushing over to Sophie

"I do a little here and there," she replied modestly, still as red as a tomato.

"Come on guys, time to settle down, you got another long day tomorrow!" A guard announced, ushering use into the make shift shelter. "Oh and great performance," he mumbled, before disappearing.

"See even the soldiers have to admit it!" I continued, settling down with Seth.

"There human too you know, well at least thoughts ones."

I snorted. "Night Sophie!"

Resting my head on Seth's chest, I listen to the gentle rhythm of his heart beat, his hand gently taming my wild hair. I purred in reply, nestling closer, attempting to imprint tonights memories on the forefront of my mind.

*

"Split their skulls and break their bones, rip out their hearts and eat their parts..."

It was cold, crystallised breaths escaped my lips, snaking there way out into the abyss that Imprisoned me. I could hear someone or something, why where they here, why couldn't they just leave me alone! Shuffling forwards, I clawed my way threw the darkness.

"Split their skulls and break their bones, rip out their hearts and eat their parts..."

I winced as a small bud of light came into focus, the holder a ginger haired teenager... IT WAS ME! I abruptly realised what was happening the memories flooding back. "What's this, it doesn't look like the rest of them..." a small voice whispered in my head.

"Hello..." It took me a moment to realise the words had come from what ever I was.

The light suddenly snuffed out, clattering to the floor making my ears ring.

"Hello?" the real me replied timidly.

I tired to shout, to tell 'me' to run, but no matter what I did nothing happened. All I could do was watch in horror a the scene played out.

"She shouldn't be here, why is she here."

"Hello, I just need a place to stay the night." I could taste the fear she was excreting... I wondered if she tasted good...wait what?!

"We should kill her, fresh meat!" I muttered to myself, licking my lips.

"I can go... You don't have to kill me," her voice faltered.

"Split their skulls and break their bones, rip out their hearts and eat their parts..." I chanted, already feeling the thrill fresh blood gave me, saliva filling my mouth and dribbling out. I slowly advanced, the sent of the girl guiding me.

"S... S... Stop where you are or I'll shoot!"

I could of laughed, call that a threat, I really was quite pathetic back then!

"Just stop, please... Don't make me do this... Please!" She begged.

I faltered, the moon light reflecting off her white face, she looked so perfect, so innocent. Foreign memories of another girl came flooding in, giggling away at something funny. "Kill... me." I could feel a third presence now battling against the blood crazed monster. "...Please." With out warning the memory suddenly melted, replaced with the rotting remains of the child. In joint effort we screamed, are minds crying out in protest, lashing out to wipe away the image!

Bolting awake the scene was replaced with the gloomy make shift tent, my body dressed head to toe in sweat. In one hand was my knife, the other sticky with warm blood.