Chapter 50 - Mental War

Laughter, melodic but irritating. It was almost hypnotic watching them dash too and throw threw imaginary constructs, wielding sticks that could kill even the greatest foe. Perky smiles were a byproduct of this, littering the faces of every child under my care, giggles escaping here and there. They were innocent, knowing so little of the danger that lurked in the shadows, and how easy it would be to extinguish there sparks .
I could feel it inside me, a writhing ecstasy, untempered and unpredictable. If it awake... I gulped, my mind flashing back to the body they had found barely a week ago, It's body torn beyond recognition. I knew it was me who had done it, I got flashes now and then but mostly it just feelings. I tried not to think about it, my memory was in taters, and the patches where getting longer and more frequent. There wasn't a day that went by that I would find myself somewhere and not remember how I got there. It scared me.

I found that the less I get existed, or worked up, the more control I had over my...urges. The children helped, giving me hope and who knows, one day I could... put this all aside. I grimiest as a stabbing pain shot threw my side, as if in response, twisting my insides with a painful pleasure that had no other comparison.

"You will NEVER be free!"

I jumped, biting my lip to prevent myself from screaming. But that didn't prevent the person who had just tucked on my cardigan from doing like wise. Wide eyed, I turned to the frightened child crouching down to her level.

"I..I..I'm so sorry Abigail, lost in my own thoughts," I stuttered. "Are you okay?" I could feel the cloud inside me ebb back to its dormant torment, the voice... those words, stamping themselves into my brain. "You will never be free..."

The little girl nodded, damp blue eyes staring back into mine as she tottered into me, arms stretched wide. I welcomed the embrace, the evil inside me shrink back in disgust, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Reluctantly, I broke away holding her at arms length. "So what are you after little missy?"
She pointed to her knee with an upturned turned lip, and for the first time I notice the graze, spots of blood leaking out. My breath catches, the beast rolling in its sleep.

Shuffling uncomfortably, I keep my face composed. "Would you like a plaster?"
She nodes and I take her hand, leading her gently towards the staff room through waves of children, playtime in full flow. I incline my head to the guard as I enter the main section, my infective charm making him straighten up. Walking from tent to hut, I made my way threw the string of make shift class rooms and corridors, the squealing of children fading into the distance. With every step my heart beats faster, I can almost taste the blood, warm and metallic, so full of life. I wanted it... I need it. 

Eventually I found myself at one of the many teacher lounges, lifting Abigail onto the counter. Riffling threw the first aid cabinet, I quickly found a plaster before fetching a damp cloth. Pausing, I steadied myself giving the girl a reassuring smile. Homing in on the cut, I dabbed it lightly, feeling the child flinch under my touch. I watched in fascination as the cloth sponged up what little blood there was, I could help but lick my lips, just one drop! Shaking my head, I glanced up at Abigail, her eyes moving questionably across the room.

Picking up the plaster, I hurriedly placed it over the wound, rushing over to the sink before any other thoughts entered my mind.

"You okay Eve?"

Calming my raising heart, I put my most convincing smile on before turning back to face her. "Yes dear, just cleaning up. How's your knee?"

"Much better thank you," she replied sweetly, swing her legs.

"Good." Turning back to the sink, I glanced up at my reflection. I hated the innocent skirt and top they gave me to wear, but at least my hair was back to its old self, neatly plated down my back. The kids just could not keep there hands off of it. Chuckling to myself I brought my hand to my mouth, smearing blood on my lip.