Chapter 7 - Day Trip

"...Several days ago the police were called in to investigate an outbreak of violence at South Gate secondary school and six-form, where the body's of Tom Alton and John Tailor were latter discovered. An officer on scene described it as horrifying and had never seen anything like it before. The school has been closed until further notice..."

"...We have confirmed reports that the T.X.1 virus is infectious to mankind; citizens are advised to remain calm and stay in their homes. The Prime Minister will be making a public announcement in a couple of days..."

"Were all going to die, you see that sweetie!" Dad chuckled to himself, belching loudly.
"Yeah I see that." It wasn't much news to me, the news had been saying similar things all week. The world had progressively gotten worse and the signs of T.X.1 are all over the place. In the last couple of days alone we had lost communication with Africa and Australia. People were on the edge, you could feel the tension, and not to mention ever since the school closed a couple of days ago I'd been stuck at home with Dad. I've resorted to slipping the odd sleeping pill into his bottle. So far so good, but I hadn't seen or spoken to Seth since the 11th when the school had closed. He'd written his address down on a piece of paper so I was hoping to sneak out the next chance I got to spike Dad's drink.

"... in other news Lincoln Hospital was in up raw early this morning as patience, post seizure, rose from their beds and madly attacked Doctors and Nurses...armed police officers were called the scene..."

"Honey would you be a babe and grab me another drink?"

Now's my chance! "Sure." Heading to the kitchen I priced the sleeping tables out from under the fridge quickly popping two out just to be sure and grabbed one of the many bottles of cheap alcohol from the fridge.

"Hurry up! What's taking you so long?"

"Just finding the bottle opener!" I lied picking up the nearest one and skillfully beheading the bottle. I slipped in the two pills and walked slowly back allowing time for them to dissolve.

"About time!" He snapped before gulping down at least half of the small bear.

Leaving the room I started making my way up stairs to get ready, It wouldn't be long before he was out of it and I would only have four or five hours max before he woke up.

Arriving at my room I pulled up the loose floor board hiding all my extra goodies I didn't what my dad knowing about. Make up, nice clothes, money... an old picture of Mum. The usual stuff any normal person would have. Bringing out the bag of cloths I slowly undressed from by baggy joggers and stained top, stretching my stiff neck. It had been a long week, I just needed a to get away, have a laugh, and do something normal for a changed.

I looked at my curvy reflection in the dirty mirror, I was getting old. Seventeen... soon to be eighteen. It's been six years since she died. Looking at myself in the mirror I can see my mother getting clearer and clearer in me by the year. I picked up a nice white, skin tight shirt from my secret compartment and buttoned it up, brushing it down my figure before slipping on a pair of skinny jeans. Not bad, still need to do something with the hair though, it was curling all over the place! I started brushing it, bringing out the fridge. That's how Seth liked it I remembered, plain and simple for some reason, nothing fancy. Didn't take me long to add the final touches before I started pulling on my brown leather boots and toped it off with a matching jacket. A quick puff of perfume and I was ready to go but not before I checked on dad.

Snoring like baby, so with a swish of my handbag I was out the door and into the grubby back streets of town not but half an hour from the train station. It felt good to be free of the fermented smell of alcohol but the streets were little better. At least the weather was looking up, it was surprisingly warm for February.